How does the Government know that my baby hasn't been vaccinated?

We have a private insurance and are selectively vaccinating our child. Which means that he will NOT have all the vaccines the the Department of Health recommends.
We recently receive a postcard stating that our child needs to be up to the date with his vaccines. Our doctor is a private doctor...emphasize word private!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They report to DHEC

HOWEVER... there is NO LAW stating that you must vaccinate, and that is YOUR decision, and YOURS ALONE.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:14 PM on May. 19, 2010

• yea, nothing is private

here in mi, there is the MCIR, a state immunization database. Every time your dr gives a vaccination, they are supposed to imput it into this database... voila, the state knows what vaccinations your child has or hasn't had and the date
    http://www.mcir.org/
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:15 PM on May. 19, 2010

• All vaccines are reported so they can be tracked better. I am glad they are tracking them, not so they can harass people though. My Dh lost his shot records and had to get them over again to start college because they were before reporting was required.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:23 PM on May. 19, 2010

• A lot of states have databases now and some are optional and some are not for the docs and the patients. Personally I toss the postcards out and get on with my life. it is my decision and it is NOT the law that they have to vaxed. They don't even need them for school in most states since you can get a religious exemption. As long as you have proof that you are taking your child to the doc occasionally so they can't claim medical neglect then there is nothing the government can do about it.
    Anonymous

• To above:
    So even if I dont vaccinate, and my child is healthy i should still go see the dr. just so they cant clain medical neglect.. Who's child is it!!
    (not attacking you just saying in general!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:52 PM on May. 19, 2010

• "To above:
    So even if I dont vaccinate, and my child is healthy i should still go see the dr. just so they cant clain medical neglect.. Who's child is it!! "

Unfortunately there are a lot of dumb parents out there who DO neglect...and we all pay the price for it.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:11 PM on May. 19, 2010

• The vaccination record is a county- or state-wide thing - county for sure. Which is the government. Doesn't make a difference if it's a private doctor at a private office with private insurance, vaccination records are public for those who work with them. Department of Health.
    Anonymous