What do you do when (if) Dh spend alot of money against your wishes?

What would you do if your husband spent alot of money after you telling him NOT to spend the money?
Dh is really into xbox. He sent it in to get fixed. They may have lost it, now he is wanting to "just go buy another one"... Now he is ticked off at me because i said we dont have the money...
Yes we have the money to buy the xbox, but then we would literally be broke & it will roll down hill & would most likely miss a bill in the next few months!
Hes great most of the time, but when it comes to $$ I just want to kick him out when this stuff happens! (Been together 10yrs)

(Pls dont say Im not his mom so i dont tell him how to spend his money. We dont have alot to be spending on whatever we want)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• My husband is really bad about spending money too. DH is really into cars and seems that he's always needing to buy something to make his car better, nicer, and faster. After 10+ years of arguing about money, we've finally come to an agreement. Any overtime that he makes at work is his. He deposits the regular amount of his paycheck, and keeps the overtime money out in cash. I do photography work on the side (in addition to a full time job), so any profits that I make is mine to keep. If either of us want to buy something that isn't needed, we are NOT allowed to take it out of our joint account. The only time we take money out of that account is if it's something that is wanted by the whole family. (For example, we bought our Wii from our joint account because it was for ALL of us) I've heard him whine many times that HE doesn't have enough money, but that's the way the deal works.
    Anonymous

• My hubby spends money that he shouldn't spend either. And I get mega pissed and bitch a lot. You do have a right to tell him how to spend the money....even if you are a SAHM. Someone has to be responsible!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 4:28 PM on May. 19, 2010

• It pissed me off SO much when I was with my soon to be ex.

He kept wanting to buy a new tv when the one we had was less than a year old and was a good size. It's a 32inch flat screen and he decided that we "needed" a bigger tv.
    I told him that we could not afford it, we had ONE income, bills that needed to be paid and another baby on the way.
    So one day he goes out to grab a few groceries and tells me he's going to get me a surprise.
    About 20 minutes after he left I ran to the phone and called his cell.
    As soon as he answered I said "A new tv would NOT be a good surprise. I will be really pissed off if you buy one when we have so many other things we need to get."
    He said "Aw, damn it."
    He was literally in the store, about to purchase a $1500 television after I repeatedly asked him not to.
    I said once we bought the things we needed and were out of debt, to go buy whatever tv he wants.
    He's terrible with money.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My hubs and I keep separate accounts, BUT bills come first, before 'fun' spending. We do discuss finances with each other, and we do not make any big purchases without the other one present, or the other one's consent. We discuss it in depth beforehand and then figure out if it is a need or a want, and who will be responsible for paying for it.
    For your husband I would tell him "I know you love your X-box, and want another one but right now we really can't afford to replace it, we have bills that need to be paid." Is there a way you could have him save up for it? Maybe put a few $ aside each paycheck in an x-box fund and when he has enough then buy it? My son does this when he wants something special, currently he is saving up all his money and toys r us gift cards to buy an X-box 360 game (he is getting the X-box for his birthday).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:04 PM on May. 19, 2010

• We don't spend more than $350 without checking with the other...

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 PM on May. 19, 2010

• As long as mine has paid rent, his car insurance and we have groceries then I don't care where the rest goes. It is his money. I take care of the utilities and half the groceries. If we had a joint account it would concern me more.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:41 PM on May. 19, 2010

• you could do what my mom did- open up a separate checking account in your name only- don't tell him about it, move a bunch of money to that account, take his checkbook and cut up his card and just tell him that he must have lost it.

Anonymous

• Maybe he could find a used one cheaper at a flea market, pawn shop, or craigslist. He could have what he wants but not have to spend near as much money.
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 10:52 PM on May. 19, 2010