Around what age do you think kids start having more realistic career and future goals?

My almost 14 year old has a few clues about what she doesn't want to do, but the only answer she has about what she does want to do is go to college and get a good job. I ask her if she sees herself married and having children and she just shrugs. She can't elaborate when asked for more details. I feel like she is just giving me the answers she thinks I want to hear, but I am really trying to help her think about these things - that's why I keep bugging her with these questions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I knew what I wanted to be by the time I was in second grade, it is still my goal. Realistically, I started to think about college and which colleges I was interested in when I was in about 9th grade. I started a little early because I was enrolled in "smart camp" during the summers after 7th,8th,9th, and 10th grade. I started receiving college applications/ information when I was in 8th grade.

The best thing to do is when she shows an interest in a college, go to the website for that college and sign up for a free pamphlet. It takes about a minute and she will have a pamphlet within a week.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 4:57 PM on May. 19, 2010

• What do you want? She's 14. Most people don't figure out what they want to major in until they're halfway through college. Most people don't think seriously about being married and having kids until they're out of college and looking to get married.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:52 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My son is 14 and his school forces the issue. They learn about and research every job angle and narrow it down. Then, while picking 9th grade classes, they have to pick a career path and plan to follow through high school.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:54 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Op here: I'm not expecting her to know every detail. Really I just want her to think a little beyond the moment. I think a lot of people at least have some expectations for their life by the time they start high school. I just feel like she is going through the motions, and I think if she had some ideas about how she'd like her life to turn out she might be more motivated.
    Anonymous

• OP again: thanks for the suggestions imamommmyy!

Thanks to the other responses too.
    Anonymous

• Around 25. :)
    Anonymous

• I am 38 and just figured out what I want to do. She is 14 and will change her mind MANY times. Let her be a teenager and worry about career goals when she gets to college. That is what the first 2 years are for. Most college students don't decide on a major until their junior year. Interests change. I wanted to be a teacher in high school and now I am going to school to be a social worker. She is only 14 and has plenty of time to decide what she wants to go to college for. The more you push her, the more she will resist making any decision.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:50 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Wow! She's only 14, give the girl a break. My mom was like you and I resent her for it still to this day. Be proud of who she is and support her decisions when SHE makes them.
    Anonymous

• Late 20's to early 30's. Things always look good on paper. They have to have time to try on a few hats before settling down.

I wanted to be a cook, an accountant and a teacher. Guess what? I am. Although I go by the title of MOM.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:57 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Let it go, she is so young! My DD is 19 and has NO idea what she wants to do, she is a freshman in college.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:09 AM on May. 20, 2010