Question about heartburn in relation to weight..

I am overweight and get heartburn a lot.. I'm working on losing the weight, I eat better, and less, I work out, etc.

Anyhow, it seems like the heartburn is getting worse, and I always thought that it would get better as I lose the weight.

Anyone have any experience/ideas about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Health

• Usually losing weight does help with heartburn, but if you have reflux, more exercising, particularly late in the day, may actually make it worse. Research GERD online. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gerd/DS00967
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:49 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i get bad heartburn when pregnant. i find it is best if i remain upright for quite some time after eating. the worst for me is to lay down on the sofa, or recline after dinner.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:51 PM on May. 19, 2010

• for me losing weight did help my heartburn. maybe you're eating more of the trouble foods? for me it is tomato sauce and bell peppers (which are both healthy foods, but they give me terrible heartburn). maybe you've been eating more of something in your diet that is bothering you? everybody has different trigger foods..... maybe keep a food journal and chart your heartburn and see if that helps narrow down the cause?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:03 PM on May. 19, 2010