I'm going on a date with an african american man, ( no effence at all in this post)

I'm white and i was raised by a father who doesnt care for black men also my grandfather feeling the same way because we was jumped and beaten baddly by a group of black men. My grandfather is an open racist. My dad is a tad bit more accepting, though when i was 16 he found out that i lost my virginity to a half black boy he flipped and said i can do so much better. I've always been attracted to them and accept all colors. So an african american guy im very intrested asked me on a date i said definitely. What if things become serious which i think they might? What would you do in my position? I'm so lost..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• lo...l your to cute! They will see you happy... they will be happy for you! It's 2010 they will get over it!
    marcy2115

Answer by marcy2115 at 5:41 PM on May. 19, 2010

• If he treats you great, respects you and is a hard working men that is all that matters.

Is he from Africa? Or is he just Black. We are all American.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:43 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Ditto. They will get over it. My h.s. boyfriend was half black, but he looked full. Even though I grew up hearing my family make negative comments about black people, they loved him. Sometimes it's just a matter of them meeting the person and knowing them as a person, rather than the stereotype of a black person.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• OP: Hes black not from africa lol i just didnt want to offend anyone by saying black
    Anonymous

• YOU CAN SAY BLACK op...anyways I guess you can't do anything IF THINGS GET SERIOUS it is up to the racist people in your family to put their ignorant ways behind and accept him,now if you do get serious and your family will not do that,He might do one or 2 things avoid them as much asp possible,or just leave you..I know I could never be in a serious relationship with someone who has racist family members,especially If I had to deal with them
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:53 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My grandfather is an open racist.

And also if your grandfather likes it to be known that he is racist maybe you shouldn't bring the guy to meet him.It isn't fair to put anybody in that position
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:55 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Find a white guy and don't go on this date.
    Anonymous

• Have the date first...and see if it leads to another. It might not, you know.

You're an adult and have the right to make your own decisions. Dad and grandpa are the ones who would miss out if their bigoted ways drive you away.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:37 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Well first of all, you are getting waaaay ahead of yourself! It's just a first date, so focus on the normal first date stuff (what are you going to wear, how will you do your hair, where are you going, etc). When it becomes more serious then worry about this stuff, let the beginning be fun - like it should be! If it does become more serious you'll always look back on this time and you don't want your memories to be shrouded in anxiety over how your family will react. You've got plenty of time for that later.

In time, you'll know if this guy is worth standing up to your family for, and if he is then do it! If they can't accept him into their family then you'll have a serious choice to make, your love or your blood. Don't put yourself in that position one minute before you have to.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:02 PM on May. 19, 2010

• You need to warn the guy about your family, especially if you suspect things might get serious. I don't think I could date any man whose family didn't like black people.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:34 PM on May. 19, 2010