Is needy normal?

My son takes mini naps throughout the day. It seems like the only way he will sleep for a long stretch is if you are holding him. He doesn't like to sit in his bouncer and I don't want to hold him 24/7. Is it normal or is he spoiled??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was never like that. Hes always been mister independant. I dont think you can spoil a baby?
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:39 PM on May. 19, 2010

• IMPOSSIBLE for them to be spoiled before that become verbalized toddlers who want every toy and treat they see. Flatly IMPOSSIBLE.

He's NORMAL. They are designed to be held. When you put him down, the Cave Baby component that makes up most of his brain right now think you're leaving them to be eaten by a sabertooth or cave bear. He's instinct driven, and instinct tells him WITH YOU is where he needs to be.

Also consider that he spent nine months inside...the outside world isa scary place for him right now.

he's just exercising his sense of self-preservation, which tells him he needs to be with mom. A sling will help free you up a bit.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:41 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Needy is normal. Babies are supposed to want to be in arms, it's the way their brains are hardwired. I still hold my 20 mo grandson while he naps. If you don't want to hold him 24/7 you can use a sling or carrier. You don't say how old your baby is. You can't spoil a baby or toddler by breastfeeding and holding them.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Well, my daughter refused to be put down for the first 5 mos. of her life. I wanted to go insane! I literally could not put her down for 5 seconds without her howling bloody murder. I got a sling.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Not spoiled he may be needy that is not the same. Needy kids are harder and you better go read about that.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:49 PM on May. 19, 2010

• mine is doing the same thing roght now..i think it's normal, agrovating at times but normal, my dd did it too
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:07 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I'm sorry..he is five months. My bf puts the TV on and that calms him but I don't want a zombie baby...I try to interact with him whenever possible but I work full time, cook, clean etc. I know some things can wait but it seems like he wants to be held ALOT!!
    Anonymous

• I would imagine that being apart from you a big part of the day is part of the problem. They are needier when their need to be close to their mommy is not met. I understand that some people just have to work, but imagine it from his point of view. When he does have you, he really wants to be with you.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:50 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Get a good sling and do the cleaning and stuff with him right there. As gdiamante siad it is the cave baby portion of his brain that says he needs to be held for safety purposes.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:05 PM on May. 19, 2010

• He is normal. Get a sling or other carrier. Babies want to be held because they need to be held.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:47 PM on May. 19, 2010