Do you wake your baby to feed him/her?

Just wondering how many people wake their infant to feed them and if so, how offten?
Im breastfeeding my dd who is now 5days old and she will sleep for up to 4hrs between feedings if i let her. And im sure you all know 4hrs of pressure build up in your breast is very painful!
am i wrong to wake her after 2 or 3hrs to feed her because im very uncomfortable?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 5:41 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never woke my son up. I was pumping every 3 hours and he wanted to eat about the same, but if he didnt wake i didnt wake him.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 5:43 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I do not personally believe in demand feeding. I know many women who do though and it is usually every 2 hours or so. I preferred to just pump and let my daughter tell me when she needed to eat.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:43 PM on May. 19, 2010

• personaly, i let sleeping babies sleep. but if youre in pain and feeling engorged there is no harm in waking her. it will be easier now than when your breasts are hard, it will be harder for her to latch on.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• In the day yes, only if he is sleeping to long, at night no.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

• "do not personally believe in demand feeding. ...and let my daughter tell me when she needed to eat. :

I truncated that because I'm confused. Letting baby tell you when she wants to eat IS demand feeding. Even when you pump!

OP..has baby passed the meconium? If so, let baby sleep...pump or hand express enough for relief and then catch up on sleep yourself. If the meconium is NOT passed, wake the baby to avert jaundice.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:46 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i did for the first couple weeks of my son feeding, after that I let him sleep
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:46 PM on May. 19, 2010

• When I left the hospital with both of my babies the nurse told me to wake my baby up every 3 hours if they haven't to feed not sure why since I had a healthy delivery with both and they were healthy when they were born and they were both 8.1 and 8.7 I didn't wake them up to feed because I tried a couple times and they would just fall back to sleep so I ended up waisting a bottle so I always waited until they woke up and told me they were hungry. Never wake a sleeping baby lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:47 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I apologize, I was mixed up my definitions. I fed my daughter only when she wanted to eat not when I wanted her too.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:50 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I mixed* not I was mixed..
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:51 PM on May. 19, 2010

• The only baby I woke to feed was my first born, she was a lazy eater and we had to wake her every hour to get her to eat 30cc I believe, it has been 17 years ago.. After about a week she had the suck,swallow, breath down pat so we no longer woke her. We never woke the other 2. Use that time to stock up on breast milk and rest yourself.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:52 PM on May. 19, 2010