what would be a good pet (small pet) that a child could pretty much care for on there own?

no dogs! we already have cats. we tried a lizard and my son was bored and it died. it did not die from my son, it died because the person who sold it to us gave us false information on how to care for it. do you have any small critters that your kids just love keeping up with and adore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Gerbils are fun.
    Anonymous

• Zhu-zhu, lol.
    Anonymous

• How about a bird?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:46 PM on May. 19, 2010

• You don't give the age of the child. There really aren't any pets that a child under 10 -12 could take care of all by themselves. With any pet you have clean-up that shouldn't be done by a child because of the chemicals involved and disease risk from animal waste.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:47 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Hamsters are fun, I had a guinea pig growing up and I loved it.. Neither are hard to care for. Fish are very low maintenance too LOL..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

• my child will be six and thats why i say pretty much. I know i will have to help. i mean they can feed etc.. i know i would have to do the big stuff
    Anonymous

• I got both of my sons rats when they were about 4. I had to remind them about cleaning the cage sometimes, but they are easy to care for. We always fed them whatever we were eating, we made them "mini" plates of dinner.lol
    They are smart, clean, and very trainable.
    Kathy-PSPR

Answer by Kathy-PSPR at 5:55 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My first pet was a mouse =) They are small and fun, but only if your child can be gentle. They live in a tiny cage, don't eat much and cleaning the cage is a breeze.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:56 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I used to have a ginny pig, I also had a bunny, and birds (didn't like the birds as much, they seldom want's to cuddle...), but the others I enjoyed. I had the dif. ones @ dif. times of course :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 6:10 PM on May. 19, 2010

• A rat is a good choice, they are sweet if you get them young and handle them often, they love attention and they are pretty clean. My kids have had them and I had them when I was younger. I know a lot of people think rats are nasty but they aren't and they are smart and don't smell real bad. Guinea pigs are skiddish and will whistle and make a lot of noise when they are bored, gerbils are ok but are prone to biting too. Mice are good but aren't as harty as rats. I really would get him a rat you only need to clean the cage once a week and feed them rat food and bits of people food. With care they can live up to 4 years and are very sweet. Good luck!
    Anonymous