First time mom, 1yr and half baby boy need advice about potty training????

Hey, my son is 1yr and half and I want to start potty training first of all is it time or I have to wait a little while .... And if his ready to start how should I do it some advice I dont know what to do what to say how to do it some advice please am really confused with all of the potty training ...... Thanksss!

MommyOfJayden23

Asked by MommyOfJayden23 at 6:14 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my opinion, he is too young. Unless he is showing some interest in the potty or telling you he wants his diaper changed I wouldn't even think about it until 2 maybe even 2 1/2. My son did everything early, except potty train! He was almost 3 and once he was ready he was easy. Prior to that I was wasting my time.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 6:19 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I started potty training both of my sons between 16 and 18 months. Both were fully potty trained before 20 months. I would put them in underwear all the time at home. I would sit them on the potty every 30 mins or so and everytime the woke up. We had a special song we sung everytime the used the potty which they loved, they would get sooo excited. When they stopped having accidents at home we started putting them in undies in public. You just have to be VERY VERY VERY consistant with it.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:20 PM on May. 19, 2010

• and some people will tell you he is to young... which is completely false if he is showing signs of readiness and interested in using the potty.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 6:21 PM on May. 19, 2010

• http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/A-Potty-Training-Readiness-Signs.html

Read through these and see if he is ready first.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on May. 20, 2010

• He is only too young if he is not ready. He will let you know by telling you he feels yucky, bringing you a diaper to change him and taking his diaper off. Personally, IMO, that is too young for a boy. They do usually take longer than girls. In all honesty, if they are truly ready and you use underwear only, they will be potty trained in one week, not months.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:17 AM on May. 20, 2010

• haha, sorry had to laugh. If he is your first and only child, the average age for him is near 4 yrs old to potty train! Have fun!!! AT this age, do not even bother! Let him be a baby! Don't even consider it again until he is at least two. If not three!!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 9:34 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Wow, I am so sick of people saying they wait until their kids are 4, Gross!!! We potty trained our little boy when he was 18 months old, he showed no interest at all and I don't think kids need to in order to be trained, it's not up to them, it's up to the parents. We let him run around naked fromt eh waist down and rushed him to the potty every time he started to go, this lasted 3 dasys and then he got to the point where he would go himself or we wouldr emind him. We did nakeda round the house for 3 months and we got rid of diapers completely from day one (except at night of course). He has done great I think because we stayed consistent and didn't give him a choice. IMO toddlers shouldn't hav ethe choice of whether or not to potty train, they kids!!!! If you google how we potty trained you will find books on doing it the way we did it. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• 4 years old is becouse of lazy parents. The average changes if you have alot of lazy parents. With that said 18 months is what most say you can start. some signs are they are telling you they went or that they need changed. If they can tell you that they should be able to tell you they need to go. If they stay wet all night they could be ready. Lots of things mean they could be its a trial and error thing with your own all are diffrent. if you start and he seems to really not get it then he isnt ready and just wait another month or so. Only you will know if he is ready at that age you live with him people here dont.
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 12:24 AM on May. 21, 2010