Are you afraid to die?

Does the mention of death close to you (a friend, a loved one) make you sad?

How do you respond when you get the word that someone dies?

What do you feel/think about funerals?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 6:17 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes im afraid to die.. :(
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 6:18 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Someone I love dying makes me sad because I'd miss them, and it would affect everyone else in their life as well. Some more directly than others. Depending on the person's age, my reaction varies. I'm not sad when someone elderly dies. My granny died 5/2/10 at the age of 93. That seems more than fair to me. She had plenty of time on earth to be with her loved ones.

Afraid to die myself, not at all. I already share a headstone with my DH (he passed away 5 years ago). I have had my own funeral planned since I was 25.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:19 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I know people always say you shouldn't be afraid of dying, but this is my biggest fear, I guess not so much of me dying but of me dying and leaving my children behind as they are now just children. I do not deal very well with death at all, I feel sad and cry for others even if it's a death with strangers. I haven't experienced deaths close to me with the exception of my step sister and she and I were very close it was devastating, I think her death initiated my fears, she left a 1 year old and 7 year old behind, the kids are now growin up apart, she would have never wanted that for her children.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:19 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I am afraid of dying while my children still need me. I'm afraid of them growing up without a mother, and I am saddened by the thought of missing out on their lives if I died young. I'm afraid of what would happen to my family if one of us died. I am afraid of any of us going through something traumatic and painful. As for being dead, that thought isn't scary to me because once I'm dead, I'm going to be dead and I won't know the difference. I wouldn't know what I was missing.

How I respond to someone's death depends on the person. Recently a teacher from my high school died of brain cancer. I hadn't seen him in 12 years, but I was really sad about it because he was such an incredible person and did a lot of good for a lot of people. It's sad to not have a person like that in the world.

I think funerals are unnecessary, and I don't want one.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:28 PM on May. 19, 2010

• am i afraid to die? yes. i don't wouldnt want to leave my dh or kids and i want to grow old and see my kids have kids.

mentioning death make me sad...no, unless i know the person is about to die..then i get sad thinking about the person and the memories

how do i respond? i havent really had anyone very close to me die yet so i dont know how i will respond. I have had distant family members and such...i shed some tears and try to help their immediate family cope by giving a shoulder to cry on and talking

funerals? are sad. i don't like the way some funerals i've been to are more like a church service instead of a celebration of life.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:37 PM on May. 19, 2010

• All of us are born to die.

It's the passing of others before you that is sad.

Anonymous

• Are you afraid to die? no

Does the mention of death close to you (a friend, a loved one) make you sad? of course

How do you respond when you get the word that someone dies? oh wow... thats sad

What do you feel/think about funerals? I dislike the ones that are depressing.. I perfer the ones that actually celebrate a persons life not their death.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:07 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Yes, I feel sadness if someone I love dies or is going to. Yes, I fear death...not one of those things I really like to dwell on, I have happier things to do.

When I hear someone has died I feel sad and my breath is taken away for a moment or two. I have not lost many close to me but when my grandpa died last summer I was in disbelief for probably an hour.

Funerals are not my favorite thing but Ive only been to two in my life, so far. They can be cool when the persons life is discussed, especially if they are telling stories of the persons childhood or things they did or adventures they had,etc. But overall, its depressing to a degree.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:14 PM on May. 19, 2010

• No I'm not afraid to die. I think everyone gets sad when someone close to them passes however it's also a part of life. Funerals are for the living to remember those who died.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:37 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Death doesn't scare me. The idea of dying young when I have children to care for makes me sad, if I heard of a friend dying who had young children to care for, that would make me sad, but I don't fear death.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:50 PM on May. 19, 2010