what age should you expect your child to clean up without any help?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 6:23 PM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• my dd is 18 months and she likes to clean up all by herself, i think it depends on the child
    Anonymous

• my son was 4..i guess you can say i expected it. The only thing i help with is changing his bedding of course, vaccuming his carpets..you know the major stuff. I have to help put away his games and puzzles on the top shelf
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:27 PM on May. 19, 2010

• 18. at least that was my experience....
    Anonymous

• it depends on the child and if you have been making them clean up before now.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:30 PM on May. 19, 2010

• all of my kids do- and have since they were old enough to understand the concept of cleaning- around a year or so. Obviously at that age they needed help, but by 2 the should be able to by their self.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:32 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My daughter is almost three and cannot do it herself. My son is nine and I have to point out things that are still messy, but he can clean it himself.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:43 PM on May. 19, 2010

• It's all up to you, and when you start to teach them.
    Mine are 6 & 9 and do pretty good on their own now.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 6:56 PM on May. 19, 2010

• It depends on what your expectation is exactly. There's a world of difference between putting puzzle pieces back in the box and cleaning their own room including vacuuming, polishing woodwork, washing curtains, and touching up paintwork for example.

By one year I expected my son to help pick up toys with smaller pieces, stuff like assembling a stacking toy before I put it away, and he was in charge of sorting laundry. By about age 3 he could pick up his own toys but sometimes needed a little prompting if he missed things. Not long after turning 4 we started a tiered allowance system where he gets $1 a week plus an additional $1 if he does his chores without prompting. That was about 5-6 months ago and he consistently sets the table without being asked and when I remind him that it's Thursday afternoon he does the weekly pick up of his bedroom where he picks up and puts away everything, train tracks included.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I think what I'm wondering is, if I should expect my 3 1/2 year old to put his toys away without me sitting down and helping him. He has helped me clean from a young age and it hasn't gotten past that yet. When I ask him to put his cars in the box he gets upset and says "its too hard". So I tell him to start and I'll be there to help him. He sometimes starts and I help him, but usually he'll wait for me to come and help. So, I'm not sure if its a discipline thing or if it really is too overwelming.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 8:38 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i think he is getting to the age where maybe you can start a reward system if you havent already. Maybe a chart through the week with smiley faces when he does pick up when told and if he gets all smiley faces then maybe take him at the end of the week to get a new toy or to chuckee cheese or do something special.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:19 PM on May. 19, 2010