Company won't allow contractors who do not speak English.......your thoughts?

The company for which I work recently approved a policy that requires all contractors to pass a written test, on safety and enviromental issues, that is in English. This is to ensure the contractor speaks English well enough in the event of an emergency. I'm just wondering what other people think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Their company, their rules. It makes logical sense to me that a person would need to be capable of communicating well in a situation where time is crucial.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:26 PM on May. 19, 2010

• to become and american citizen you have to pass the citizenship test in english. i think it's a good idea, especially for safety reasons.
    Anonymous

• Well I know my husband works in refineries and when they have people that cant understand english they cant communicate with everyone. THat is a MAJOR safety hazzard since one mistake can take a life. I know they allow people that dont speak english but If there is an emergency nobody can tell them to get out....I think it should be a requirement in dangerous jobs.
    Anonymous

• A person should be able to atleast read and speak English at a basic level. If they can't read English, how are they going to do their job. It could mean life and death for fellow employees if someone can't speak English.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:31 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Airline pilots are all required to speak English. It's the language of aviation. I'm pretty sure you'll find the same requirements for anyone ina field dealing with public safety.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:33 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I also have no problem with this PRIVATE company's rules/policies! Communication is critical to any businesses success! If you cannot communicate with fellow employees, customers, etc, then how do you expect to be able to follow both written and verbal instructions?

How many times have you called the customer service number of a company you do business with, only to get someone on the other end whom you can BARELY understand--and they have trouble understand you (whether it be the speed at which you talk, your accent, or your poor English?!)--because they are clearly from another country?! How frustrating is that?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:37 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Good. i'm sick of calling certain customer service number and getting someone who cant understand what the hell I am saying. Kudos to that company
    Anonymous

• Heck,I couldn't understand what people were saying on the phone when I used to live in North Carolina and they were supposedly speaking English.LOL. That was annoying, y'all. After a while I was fixin to be ill........
    Anyone care to translate that?
    Anonymous

• it makes sense if its an american company. my daughters first doctor had nurses that only or primariy spoke spanish. the dr wasnt even consiterate enough to speak english through the full appointment because my bf speaks spanish. sure im 1/4 mexican, 1/4 italian, and have lived in communities all my life that were atleast 60% hispanic, but that doesnt mean i have to learn spanish. they want to come to america then they can learn the language or go home!
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 7:02 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it.. Especially for safety reasons, I think it is a GREAT idea...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:09 PM on May. 19, 2010