Should I be concerned?

My DD will be 4 months next week (born Jan 25th) but she's still not grabbing for things that are dangled in front of her. She loves to stare at them and will laugh/coo, but still no attempt to grab or touch them.

Chloesmama10

Asked by Chloesmama10 at 6:38 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies do things on their own time, the milestones are just average time, not set in stone. If she was 9 months olds and not reaching then yeah I would be worried but she is not yet 4 months old. Give her time. If you are really worried talk to her ped to ease your mind.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:41 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Probably not. If she is engaging with them, then she is probably okay. If you get to her next check-up and she is still not reaching for things, then I would definitely ask the doctor about it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:41 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Does she hold things? Even if she doesn't reach for them? Like, does she hold the corner of the blanket or the pacifier/bottle or a toy or your finger? If she does that, like pps said, I wouldn't worry about it yet. She's still young. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:47 PM on May. 19, 2010

• check milestones on sites of the brands you use, or sign up for the newsletters, or even ask your doctor!

gerber.com and parents.com are my favorites. you can keep track of what you should be expecting her to start doing in the coming weeks. i get the newsletters in my e-mail from several sites, either weekly or monthly.

every so often i decide to read them and my 4 mo old usually has been doing the things they say she is starting to do for awhile. but don't compare yours to mine. she gets out alot and is around alot of people. she loves attention because she's so used to getting tons of it. stimulation helps them develop faster, and touch somehow makes their muscles stronger faster. try being a little more hands on with her hands and arms. it may help her coordination if you play with them.
    Anonymous

• not at all, i'm sure the baby is just fine! keep havin fun and if it bothers you ask your doctor. :)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:16 PM on May. 19, 2010

• No it's perfectly natural for babies to just look and not grab.
    She's still young and she probably has the want to grab, but doesn't know quite yet how to get herself to do it. Just keep inticing her with toys and she'll eventually reach up and grab them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:32 PM on May. 19, 2010