What happens to me if DH gets caught?

Not paying his taxes? He 'runs' his own business working/fixing on cars. He has a title to his company and a good amount of customers. No employees though. What happens to me if he gets caught though? What happens to him if he gets caught?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• If it is a joint return you are both in hot water, probably fines will be added to what you didn't pay, in the end you will be paying double!

Answer by older at 7:27 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Um thats fraud......that is a federal crime. Thats jail time.
    Anonymous

• He will have consequences, for sure. I believe it's a felony, not sure though. As for you, I'm not sure what could happen. If you file jointly, I believe they would treat you the same as they would him. If you file separately, then I don't believe it would affect you at all. But I'm not an expert on these kinds of things. The best thing I can tell you is you need to convince him he should pay the taxes, b/c it's not worth it to not do it and get caught.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:29 PM on May. 19, 2010

• OP: I pay my taxes -joint taxes with my unemployment and with other w-2's. He doesn't however pay one penny to the IRS from his business. If he gets in trouble with his business will I get in trouble to? Even if I have no part of his business?
    Anonymous

• I'm no expert, but if you file jointly and your signature is on the tax return that all info is correct than yes you can be in big trouble.
    Anonymous

• If you have no part in the business then you should be okay. I would make sure to get your own account with out his name on it though to keep some money in. They can and will be able to deduct form a joint account.
    Anonymous

• He should incorporated as a sole proprietor, start keeping records and paying taxes. He could wind up in prison.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:40 PM on May. 19, 2010

• SO the business is filed separately?
    Anonymous

• The IRS can withhold your tax returns if you file. This happened to my mom. My dad never filed and even though my mom didn't work when I was younger, she always filed. Well, when they divorced, the IRS went after my mom to pay back my dad's debt.

If your DH gets caught, be fines and possibly jail time depending on the seriousness of the situation.
    Anonymous

• op: The business doesn't exist to the IRS
    Anonymous