Is this tacky #2..please .do. bash if needed lol

Ok so here it is ladies.
My hubby and our friends are planning a baby shower for our baby for " friends only". My mom just informed me of her wanting to plan a baby shower for me, but since its supposed to be a surprise she doesnt know who can plan it , since she has no time nor the patience to plan a baby shower. I have 1 sister and we haven't talked for a complete year now because we had a huge argument. she can't plan it and if she did it would be tacky i know it.. so My mom suggested I plan my own baby shower and she pays for everything and invites everyone. what do you think...? should I just tell her to call the baby shower off. or should I plan it?

psychobilly_mom

Asked by psychobilly_mom at 7:40 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You doing the detail planning for your mother who's technically paying and thus 'throwing' it; is maybe iffy but really who cares. In all honesty I find your family's lack of ability to make even the smallest amount of time to welcome your child to be tacky but that's not my problem I guess...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on May. 20, 2010

• plan it. i dont think it's tacky.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• If you don't want to then don't.
    If you do, then do it.
    I basically planned mine, but didn't when or where it was.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 7:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Is there anyone you'd plan to invite close enough to ask to help, or at least be the host? It doesn't take much to plan the party but a lot the day of (food, decorations, games etc)..... Otherwise I see no problem and it's not tacky to plan your own.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I do think that throwing yourself a shower is a little tacky, but your not really throwing it, so it's a bit of a gray area. You could always plan it and let your mom take the credit.
    Anonymous

• Since your mom will still be the host, I don't think it's an issue. Just make it clear that she is hosting, and nobody would think anything of it. I only think it's tacky if nobody wants to throw someone a shower so they give themselves one just for the free stuff or "because we need the help to pay for baby things." But in your situation, go for it.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 7:53 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I helped plan my first baby shower. My sister wanted it be exactly what I wanted so I gave her input and she put it together. I don't think its tacky but you could put your mom down as the contact if you feel weird about it.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 7:57 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Plan it and let the invites come from your mom. No one has to know you planned it yourself and you're not really throwing it for yourself, mom is still throwing it for you. For my first, I had 3 baby showers...my mom had me help with the 'friend' one because I had also just had 3 wedding showers (got preggo 2 mos after my wedding) that she helped plan, so she just needed my help because she was tired of doing it all, lol.
    I don't think it's tacky...bring on the baby gifts :)
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 8:24 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Throwing/planning your own baby shower is tacky. Nobody who is related to the baby is supposed to plan it, which includes your mother and your sister. I'm all for each baby getting its own shower, but if nobody offers to throw you one (who isn't related) then you skip it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

• From Emily Post's Etiquette, 17th edition, page 500 "Because gifts are central to showers, hosting by a member of the honoree's (or husband's) immediate family appeared self-serving."

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:49 PM on May. 19, 2010