Preparing siblings for a new arrival

I have a 15 month old son and I am preganant with a baby girl... When my daughter is born my son will be 18 mths... I am wondering how can I prepare him for her arrival??? Or is there even a way to prepare a child that young... He knows that there is a baby in my belly because he will point at my stomach and say baby... But he still sleeps with me although he is on a very strict schedule he does everything at the same time everydayits routine..How can i prepare him for her??? I am clueless as to what to do... HELP!!!!

JaYsMoMmY09

Asked by JaYsMoMmY09 at 7:54 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know if there is really anything you can do because he's so little. My best friend had her girls that close together and the older one had no idea what was going on really. We were both pregnant and she point to our bellies and say baby but once they came out she looked at them like she had no idea what they were doing in her house for months. I would play it by ear, explain to him what you can but I'm sure he's still going to be shocked and confused when you bring the new baby home.
    Anonymous

• I read stories about new babies and about becoming a big brother to my son when I was pregnant with my daughter.
    I would talk to him a lot about it as well. I'm sure most of it went over his head but if any little part of it was understood then it wasn't a waste of time.

After the baby arrives, get him to be your special helper. My son was jealous at first but as soon as I let him help me give her bottles and change her bum and wash her in the bath, he felt proud of being a big brother.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:58 PM on May. 19, 2010

• my son was the same age we just keep getting him excited by saying your gonna be a big brother and he was there to meet the baby when he was born and he was curious to see but we never got mad or anthing just be sure to keep a close eye so our oldes wouldnt get jelous we told him it was his baby and made him feel very special kid are so smart you will be fine!!!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 8:01 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My 2nd and 3rd were 18 months apart. He pretty much ignored her for the first 8-9 months of her life, didn't bother him one bit - no jealousy, no fighting, nothing. My 4th will be 20 months when my 5th is born in July. This young, there is really no way to prepare him for what's going to change. You can talk about it until you're blue in the face, but there is no way for them to comprehend that they will no longer be the center of the universe! :) (for my 2nd and now for my 4th I did get some small, inexpensive toys to pull out when I need some time with the new baby)

Answer by missanc at 10:11 PM on May. 19, 2010