Need Suggestions on situation with my daughter

She is 3 and was getting out of her room at night and totally destroying things in the house. On top of that I am afraid that she will injure herself or somehow figure out how to get out of the house, although we do have all exits to the house locked up well with door knob covers. I didn't know what else to do so I put a door knob cover on the inside of her room so that she is no longer able to get out. I feel cruel for doing this but I seriously don't know how else to handle it. I've tried the door alarms and neither my hubby or I hear them at night!! Now that she is fully potty trained during the day I want her to feel like she can get up and potty when she needs to at night, but of course that will require taking the door knob cover off. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I had to do the same thing when my son was 2 because he would do the same thing. It's not cruel, it's safer. What if she got into the cleaning chemicals or got hurt? She is safe in her room.
    What if you put the potty in her room?
    Or get her up for a pee before you go to bed at night.

My son is 3.5 now and no longer tries to escape his room at night.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:05 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I don't think you are doing anything wrong so please stop beating yourself up. You are doing what is best for your daughter and keeping her safe. I would put a potty chair in her room for her to use at night and hopefully she'll grow out of this soon, though I'm sure she will. In the meantime, a lot of deep breaths and patience. It'll be ok!
    Anonymous

• what you are doing is for your daughter's safety (as well as your family's... who knows what she could get into/do). what's cruel about expecting her to be in her room where she belongs at night? potty chair in the room - great idea.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:43 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Get her a potty chair for her room. If you still have a baby monitor, hide the receiver somewhere in her room so that at you'll at least be able to hear her if she gets up or needs you.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 8:06 PM on May. 19, 2010

• ya we did the door thing to but we have a moniter in the room and smoke and carbon dectors cause you never know just be safe
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 8:14 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i thought about the poty chair thing, but i am afraid she will dump it or something, she is pretty good but when she is tired she is ornery
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 9:40 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Put a gate at the end of the hallway or somewhere where she can't get into the rest of the house, but can still use the bathroom.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:08 PM on May. 19, 2010