Breastfeeding - swelling/sore

So I had my baby Monday, and have been BF him. I've become really sore. I spoke with the lactation consultant before leaving the hospital, and she told me to use the soothing gel pads, and the ointment (which I have). She says it should get better. I am just wondering how common this is. Was anyone else really sore? What did you do to sooth? Did it get better? I am almost dreading feeding times for how much it hurts to put him on my breast.

KairisMama

Asked by KairisMama at 8:15 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is ridiculous when nurses tell you if it hurts you are doing it wrong. I know so many people who said they were in pain those first few weeks too. I also dreaded it those first couple weeks. My daughter was a strong sucker and my nipples felt like they were going to fall off. I had several lactation consultants help me get her latched on correctly and it still hurt. I toughed it out and eventually it went away. I used the gel pads after every feeding. To GAILLL, if nipples don't toughen, and they are supposedly latching on wrong, why does it the pain go away after a few weeks? Hang in there. You will get through it. Just look at it as a challenge to overcome. Don't give up.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:38 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Been there, done that! For ten months straight! I had every problem know to man while nursing my son. Always make sure your nipples are dry before putting your bra back on. I would just wear a thin loose shirt around the house so they could breath. The gel pads didnt do much for me. And after using the nursing ointment (cant remember he name, begins with a "L") for weeks I found out I was allergic to it! It does take time for your nipples to toughen up, just keep on nursing, Good Luck and congratulations!
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 8:24 PM on May. 19, 2010

• oh god did i get sore! it was awful. turns out she had thrush. it went away after about 2 weeks though. then was completely fine.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:29 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Yes, getting sore for about the first two weeks is really normal.

I loved the gel pads when I kept them in the refrigerator and they were nice and cool.

As long as baby has a proper latch, and you don't get any infections, it should go away on its own just fine.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:57 PM on May. 19, 2010

• A little soreness is to be expected (I had toe curling soreness..,I dreaded the next feed!....it was bad the first week but each day after that was better and better. We had a latch problem that i had fixed on day three). But once any latch problems are ruled out, It is like riding a bike when you haven't done it for a while. You get saddle sore really bad. You keep riding and it eventually goes away.

What does help is changing holds so that the baby isn't putting pressure in the same spot all the time. Also, one breast per feed. It gives you a moment of respite. Oh, and don't wait until the baby is ravenous! Feed long before that. The latch of a very hungry newborn is brutal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:30 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Sounds like your milk is coming in and you're engorged. that's a GOOD thing. the discomfort from engorgement will go away in a few days.
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 10:35 PM on May. 19, 2010

• What kind of sore? The gel pads and the Lansinoh can make you sore.

It souldn't hurt. You don't want to listen to people that were sore. I was never sore and nursed 3 babies for a total of 10 years! Nipples don't toughen up with breastfeeding. How would they? A baby's mouth is wet and suckling wouldn't make nipples tough. What does tough nipples mean?

Abnormal sucking causes sore nipples. Giving bottles or pacifiers can cause abnormal sucking and can lead to that's one reason a woman might have sore nipples for 10 months.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:51 PM on May. 19, 2010

• make the gel packs warm before you nurse and cool after. warm helps the milk drain completely, cool helps keep the swelling down. also taking ibuprofen will help keep the swelling and pain under control, just don't take it if you are already taking pain meds. Switch holds, football and cradle were the easiest for me to get the hang of and side lying is good if you can get it (I for some reason can't get comfy with that one). some soreness is normal at first, but outright pain is not. if it hurts for baby to nurse break the suction with your finger and get baby to re-latch making sure there is more than just nipple in their mouth.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:08 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Sorry, Gaill, some amount of soreness is normal. My son had a perfect latch and I still was sore as my breasts got adjusted to breastfeeding. Just because YOU didn't get sore, doesn't mean it's not normal.

Now, that being said, if the soreness (I'm assuming you mean your nipples) only lasts for the first minute or so after latching, nothing to worry about. If it hurts (and I mean bite your lip hurting) throughout nursing, then yes, there is probably an issue with latch that you'll want the LC to look at.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:32 AM on May. 20, 2010

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplehealing.html
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 1:35 AM on May. 20, 2010