Freedom of speech

My daughter is very open about talking about god exspecially at school. Unless she is being pushy, I dont and will not discourage it.My daughter is real excited about her summer plans of going to church camp and few of the students were intrested in going. My daughter wanted me make copies of the camp applications for her friendsShe has been telling me that her teacher has been telling her she cant talk about god or her church camp because of sepration between church and state. but what about the freedom of speech. Doesnt my daughter have the right to talk about what she wants as long as she is not disrespecting anybody or cursing?

nurdreams

Asked by nurdreams at 8:20 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are laws about "freedom of speech" in public schools. Students are allowed to communicate on any sensitive topics as long as the communication is not deemed "materially disruptive." It's the Tinker ruling.

If your daughter is chatting between classes, during free time, at lunch, or in the bathroom, then she is not talking out of turn or disrupting class. If she is discussing anything during class time, religious or not, she is not complying with the school rules on freedom of expression.

If you don't know the parents of the friends who are interested in summer camp, I'd contact the parents directly with the camp info. If they are not interested in a faith based summer activity for their child, they may call the school and complain. It's just safer to talk parent to parent than let the school get involved.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:47 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I don't see it as a big deal but these days people are hyper-sensative. The teacher may be looking at it like she is soliciting people to the camp. As much as I hate to say it maybe your daughter should just discuss it off school grounds.  It is a shame that people can not be mature enough to hear something they don't agree with and just walk away or peacefully disagree.  Instead we try to muzzle each other so no one can even speak what is true to them.  Very sad.

Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 8:25 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Maybe the teacher is trying to protect you or herself from hearing something from one of the other parents. (about receiving relgious info while in school)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:31 PM on May. 19, 2010

• That really doesn't belong in school. It brings up debates that not everyone will agree with which may offend others. Even if it's not intended to offend others. 

That is great that she is so proud of her beliefs. I'm sure it makes you proud as well. 

I'm an Atheist. If I were to go into your daughters school and speak about my views, and disbelief in religion it would likely offend your daughter, and importantly go against everything she's learned, and that you wanted to instill in her.

So would you like it if I were to go to your daughters school and speak of my atheist views, evolution, astrophysics, stupid design, and the flaws I think there are in the bible? As you did I could label it freedom of speech???
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 8:31 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Oh boy what a can of worms!! It should be ok, but now a days kids get suspended for praying at lunch so I would tell your child to give these things to her friends after school or before. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 8:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Good question Skepticchick...Id really like to know the answer to that!!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:37 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Would you mind if my son talked about the Goddess at school and give your daughter his opinions on the Bible? I am sure she would be offended. Keeping religion out of school protects everyones rights, including children like your DD.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:03 PM on May. 19, 2010

• ah children.. I love it when they share Christ from their own hearts...
    Here is what i suggest... make the flyers and put them in envelopes put the child's name on it and have her give it to them before or after school and they can just put it in their backpacks. Give them your phone number for the parents if they have any questions, put that in the envelope too.
    Your daughter is allowed to share her faith just as much as anyone else but she is not allowed to make someone pray.
    It is no different than a boy sharing his love for baseball or a superhero. No one seems to get offended with those do they? Or a girl sharing her love of gymnastics or soccer! Thats their passion, hers is Christ.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:03 PM on May. 19, 2010

• BTW the students were interested in going... she wasnt pushing it on them... its no different than saying hey I am going to gymnastic camp or soccer camp :-)

People are just sooo offensive because it has to do with God. Not surprising tho... after all the bible says people will get this way.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:05 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I would say that if your daughter was just discussing this with her friends and not her whole class then it shouldn't be an issue. She is just talking about her summer plans like all kids her age do. It just so happens she is going to church camp. I would talk to her teacher. See if she was over stepping any personal boundaries, ie, you have to go to church or you'll go to hell, type of boundaries. If it continues to be an issue with her teacher, the school, or any other parents, just gently tell her that is not something to talk about in school but if her friends want to talk about, she can them after school.
    Anonymous