Do you think this theory could become a reality?Could Congress limit political speech of bloggers?

Last week, a congressional hearing exposed an effort to give another agency—the Federal Election Commission—unprecedented power to regulate political speech online. At a House Administration Committee hearing last Tuesday, Patton Boggs attorney William McGinley explained that the sloppy statutory language in the “DISCLOSE Act” would extend the FEC’s control over broadcast communications to all “covered communications,” including the blogosphere.The bill, however, would radically redefine how the FEC regulates political commentary. A section of the DISCLOSE Act would exempt traditional media outlets from coordination regulations, but the exemption does not include bloggers, only “a communication appearing in a news story, commentary, or editorial distributed through the facilities of any broadcasting station, newspaper, magazine or other periodical publication…”
http://cha.house.gov/view_hearing.aspx?r=67

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If this adm gets its way they will.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:35 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Bloggers? Oh my, I hope that means that the people at Fox News might be muzzled? They DO Blog over there, all the while saying they are reporting the news in a Fair and Balanced way.HA!
    But,the ordinary people who create their ownBlogs online are usually a bunch of Radical rightwingers who hate everyone. But....I guess there is still that pesky Freedom Of Speech issue...sigh.....
    Anonymous

• What is most amazing to me is that libs ridicule people like Rush, Glenn Beck and Fox. What have they reported or predicted that hasn't actually happened or been attempted by this Administration?
    Anonymous

• Yes they do want to limit what can be said by you me in a forum such as this. It is the free flow of thoughts that is dangerous. This gives us the opportunity to question the facts and make sure what is being told is the truth. It is the exposure of the truth that makes the job of the conversion of this country to a socialist country difficult. They want us to only know what they want us to know which reminds me of Russia, China, N.Korea, Cuba...........
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:43 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Anyone who believes Anyone with a differing voice/opinion should be muzzled is uneducated, naive, lacking the ability to comprehend the US Constitution and lacking in the knowledge to apply it.  Which pretty much explains why they are anonymously answering this question.....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:47 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I don't think they should be worried about blogs or anything like that. Everyone should have a voice and be able to speak up on any issue. When we get to a point when we can't. Or have to say whatever those in power want us to say it sounds communist. And that is scary.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 9:13 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Sounds like they plan on doing just that. Not just bloggers, everyone. Believe me, there are many reasons you do not want the internet controlled by the FEC.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:16 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Of course they want to do this...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:47 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Anyone who believes Anyone with a differing voice/opinion should be muzzled is uneducated, naive, lacking the ability to comprehend the US Constitution and lacking in the knowledge to apply it. Which pretty much explains why they are anonymously answering this question.....

***
    ...and all other political questions! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:32 PM on May. 19, 2010

• "I guess there is still that pesky Freedom Of Speech issue...sigh..... "

What is really sad is that someone thinks Freedom of Speech is a PESKY little ideal. Really makes you wonder about the kind of person who would say that.  Oh wait, I know what kind of person would say that.....

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:49 PM on May. 19, 2010