Diet for a pregnant nursing mother?

I've been trying to do research online and I'm not having much success with finding a structured diet. I am 6 weeks pregnant and currently nursing my 5 month old. I want to continue to nurse my dd, but I'm afraid if I don't get enough my milk will dry up. Anyone have any experience with this and/or have advice for me? TY!

LuccasMommy

Asked by LuccasMommy at 8:49 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'll give you the info my nutritionist gave me.

2800 Calories:
    Grains - 10oz.
    *1 slice of bread, 1 cup of ready to eat cereal, 1/2 cup cooked rice, pasta or cooked cereal (oatmeal etc)=1 oz.

Vegetables - 3.5 cups

Fruits - 2.5 cups

Milk - 3 cups

Meat & beans - 7oz.
    *1 oz of lean meat, poultry or fish. 1 egg, 1 Tbsp of peanut butter, 1/2 cup cooked dry beans or 1/2 nuts or seeds = 1 oz.

Oils - 8 teaspoons

Discretionary calories - 426.
    *These calories can be spent on "luxury" versions of foods in each group, such as higher fat meat or sweetened cereals. You can also spend them on sweets, sauces or beverages but remember it is wise to limit added sugar and sodium in your diet.

Add enough water throughout the day!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:30 PM on May. 19, 2010

• you shouldnt been dieting, youre pregnant. why are you worried about your milk drying up but not the baby getting enough?
    Anonymous

• nutrients that is
    Anonymous

• I'm not trying to 'diet,' but trying to follow healthy eating habits and getting all of the right number of food groups/types of food I should be getting. If I'm eating healthy the baby should be fine, right? If the body works how I think it does, the baby takes nutrients before it goes to my milk. I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking for advice.
    LuccasMommy

Answer by LuccasMommy at 8:57 PM on May. 19, 2010

• what my dr. told me is just to eat a balanced healthy diet and everything will be fine (which it was)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:00 PM on May. 19, 2010

• if you want a number 2800 calories with plenty of water (fluids) 8 glasses 8x a day those are a minimum

it is kinda normal to 'dry up' a little the pregnancy hormones shut down or override lactation hormones- most mammals dont get pregnant while they have a 100% dependent offspring-- sounds weird but it is absolutely true-- for humans the 'natural spacing' is about 20 months-- which would mean most women dont conceive until their offspring is 10 months-- or about 6 weeks from when they are no longer dependent on Mom
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:00 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Your milk won't 'dry up' because of what you eat. Why milk supply decreases during pregnancy is because of hormone changes. You need to monitor your baby's weight to make sure your baby is getting enough. I recommend buying or renting scales and weighing to make sure your baby keeps gaining enough, at least 4 ounces a week, a pound a month.

I breastfed through a pregnancy and went on to tandem nurse for several years, so I am very supportive of breastfeeding during pregnancy. I was nursing a 3 year old. You got pregnant much too soon. The World Health Org recommends waiting 3 years after birth before ttc. You got pregnant when your baby was 2-4 mo old and it's not good for your developing baby, the baby you already have, or you.

Anonymous

• If you go to google and type in superfoods you can find lists that are a little different on different sites. These are the kinds of foods that would be good to include in your diet. If you can find a recent college text book at a used book store there should be info. When I was breastfeeding during pregnancy I was taking a college nutrition course and nutritional needs during pregnancy and breastfeeding were covered. When you are doing both you have to meet the nutritional needs for both.

Anonymous