if you did an at home birth what was your plan in case of an emergency?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well we ended up not doing at home due to financial reasons, but our plan was that it was a 15 minute car ride and that is how longer (or longer) they would need to prep an operating room. Our midwife would call 911 and her OB backup and we would all meet there if need be. I had two wonderful natural intervention free hospital births with a midwife for financial reasons though.
    Anonymous

• our plan was to drive to the hospital in case of an emergency. my second child actually came 8 weeks early, so we did not even try to deliver at home, we just went right to the hospital. ambulance care and hospital care are not usually too far away for most people these days.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:07 PM on May. 19, 2010

• how would you know if there was an emergency? would the midwife be able to monitor the babies heartrate like in the hospital?
    Anonymous

• to PP, yes midwives are trained to know when there is an emergency. (which is not usually the case, most births are normal and do not need hospital)
    Anonymous

• I get parallel care from a CNM/ OB practice. The hospital is 500 yards from my house. If there is a transport issue, we call the medical people and have them meet us at the hospital. The midwife has the advantage of being able to share the details of the condition that has caused the transport so the hospital staff can work quickly to prep for intervention.

My home birth midwife has pitocin for hemorrhage, oxygen, fetal monitoring devices, blood pressure cuffs, emergency fluids... all kinds of equipment. Home birthers aren't hill billies who bite on a stick and drop babies in a field. We have set ups much like a birth center, it's just in our living rooms.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:07 PM on May. 19, 2010