non-custodial parent

does anybody know if a non-custodial parent has visitation rights? i live in NY if that matters..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• unless there is a custody arrangement made by a judge, the parent has every right to the child.
    Anonymous

• I dont have any papers or anything. My child support was set up threw welfare when i was on it and i never got anything but a paper saying how much the non-custodial parent will pay a month and ive been off welfare for 2 months so i was wondering...
    Anonymous

• you dont have to let him see him/her unless there are papers from a judge. I le2t my daughters father see her until he move 8 hours away and hasnt made an effort to see her in 2 years, now he will have to fight.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 9:43 PM on May. 19, 2010

• above poster is wrong. He could take the children and not return them and you wouldnt be able to do anything about it becaue there is nothing in writing stating that you even have custody. I asked about this at my child support hearing, they told me its a whole separate thing and they dont deal with that . Now, if the childs father is out of the picture for 2 years or more, then.... he loses his rights and does have to fight
    Anonymous

• The paper i was given was writen out to the CUSTODIAL parent (me) stating how much the non-custodial parent (him) pays in CS a month..so i do have full custody
    Anonymous

• Until you have court papers stating you have custody, then technically you do not. You have to go to court and set up a parenting plan. Until then, he can come take the children whenever he wants. I say get a parenting plan ASAP.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 9:59 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Nope. If there is no agreement then the NCP has no right to visitation, if you were not married. My son's father was told that when he had my son that he had to have written permission from me so, I couldn't have him arrested for kidnapping. He was paying court ordered child support we were not married.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:11 PM on May. 19, 2010

• "The paper i was given was writen out to the CUSTODIAL parent (me) stating how much the non-custodial parent (him) pays in CS a month..so i do have full custody"

No - you do not have full custody. Child support and custody are 2 different things. Child support calls you the custodial parent because you are the one receiving child support. I have the same situation and my ex has visitation every other weekend and every other wednesday afternoon. But you need to set up a custody/visitation agreement with him, separate from the child support.

Answer by missanc at 10:13 PM on May. 19, 2010

• what is a parenting plan? i am in a different state then my daughters father. i am curious to know. to the orginal poster, i was told to get custody and i still have not. i am debating because he threatened me one time that if i went to court he would go for everything he could.. i say he has every right though like the other posters stated because with out a paper he can just take her and you have no proof that you have custody because in the eyes of the law the father has as just much rights as the mother . unfornately
    Anonymous

• How do I go about getting a parenting plan and custody? i thought that meant I had custody but if not, i'd rather get it now and make a plan so he understands his rights and doesnt over step boundaries..
    does anyone know if him threatening the leave and never see either of us is grounds for less visitation? we were together and he never helped me with anything..he only pays $25 a month and says hes not going to pay it anymore..
    Anonymous