What material do women that stay covered (head, long sleeves, and mostly long free flowing skirts) wear in the summer?

I'm not trying to stereo type here. but i believe it's mostly muslim women although i think some indian women wear it too.

i'm just wondering because once in a while we will see a woman covered from head to toe, and she don't seem hot or unconfortable at all. and i was wanting to find out what the material is and if i could make skirts out of it?

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 9:11 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Cotton, Linen, Chiffon, some georgettes.....depends on what it is.

My skirts I like in cotton or linen (but linen can get itchy) Chiffon is nice and soft and feels great against the skin. I also have some cotton silk blends that I wear.

AmmuJSE

Answer by AmmuJSE at 12:52 AM on May. 20, 2010

• From what I have seen, Cotton. But I'm sure there are other options.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:14 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Cotton, silk, lace, polyester, or a blend of those materials.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:24 PM on May. 19, 2010

• linen
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I like cotton or silk myself.
    The real secret, though, is layers. Just like layers keep you warm in the winter, loose layers of clothes in the summer help cool.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:33 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I have some saris for more dressy occasions with dh's family... they are one hundred percent cotton, though some of the fancier ones are silk or blends of fabrics.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:29 PM on May. 19, 2010

• They don't appear hot; because they are accustomed to it. Just like people who live in the south are colder at higher temps than say someone who lives in Alaska. It's what your body is used to.
    Anonymous

• Depends, like everyone else said. And we don't get hot because it's like a built in cooling system. Loose clothes allow air to circulate under them and cool the skin directly. We are cooler than someone wearing tight clothes sticking to their body :)
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 8:52 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I wear cotton mostly in the summer, like the pp poster said loose flowing layers keep me cool. I
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 2:30 PM on May. 20, 2010

• Lol I was born in Illinois and I am still living here, so I guess I am accustomed to Illinois summers. I am wearing an abaya over my clothes, even in summer, and it is made from "double georgette" - the clothes under is usually cotton. Loose clothes are cooler. I'd probably be hot if I went south, but I'd still stick to my abaya.

The hottest headscarf I have is pashmina, feels like wearing jersey knit wool, HOT.
    ProudMuslimMa2B

Answer by ProudMuslimMa2B at 5:00 PM on May. 21, 2010