would it be disrespectfull to buy and wear muslim skirts if your not a muslim?

just wanting to know because i wouldn't want to disrespect anyone and their religion.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 9:27 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• some people are offended when people borrow from other cultures, others are not. i'm interested in the responses you get from muslims... i always loved those Indian pants and long tunics but was afraid of being offensive wearing them.
    ********
    I think that occurs when the item has some religious or ritualistic value associated with it. Certain Feathers worn in certain patterns; distinctive weaving that could significance; medicine wheels made into 'junk jewelry' could all cause offense for example.

I would think that if you were not Muslim; and not attending a Mosque service or other ceremony where wearing all of it would be a sign of respect while you're in their space; that if you were just going to wear it to run errands or something might be considered as slightly offensive to some; but like Sabrina said if you're just talking a long skirt; how is a skirt specifically muslim??
    Anonymous

• All styles have been made into a trend in one way or another. However, I think it is disrespectful to wear full garb of another culture if you aren't that culture. Whether born into it or otherwise. Just due to the fact that you don't understand the meaning behind it. Not "You" specifically, "You" as in the general person.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:40 PM on May. 19, 2010

• A muslim styled skirt is one thing, the full headdress is another. Just be prepared for ppl to come up to you & say things to you, either being rude or in islamic as a greeting. Be prepared for others to judge you based on how you look, like it or not its the reality!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:42 PM on May. 19, 2010

• oh no not full garb. just the skirts, i do believe in dressing modest and believe long free flowing skirts to be the best way to go. just they are so hard to find now a days.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 9:42 PM on May. 19, 2010

• If its just a long skirt then some may think you're mormon vs muslim lol. Wear what you're comfortable in, some might even mistake you for an "old hippie"
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:47 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I enjoy wearing skirts, and I don't see how wearing the full garb is disrespectful if you wanted to. I would think it was a compliment. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:00 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Teenagers who dress like gang members in sloppy pants and such can get mistaken for REAL gang members and get killed for their fashion sense. I'm not sure why you're so concerned with offending muslim sensibilities. They certainly weren't worrying about OUR sensibilities when they celebrated in the streets on the day of 9-11. But I'm even less sure why you want to dress like them. Ignorance can be fatal, but go ahead. Do what you want.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:12 PM on May. 19, 2010

• witchqueen because someone is a muslim don't mean they had something to do with 9-11. since 9-11 happened there is a lot of innocent muslims in this county that are being cruely treated, people that do not even agree with what happened and are good people if given the chance to get to know them.

and no i don't want to offend them just like i wouldn't want to offend you for whatever religious beliefs you have.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 10:21 PM on May. 19, 2010

figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:23 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I can't say I would even consider something a "Muslim" skirt if you weren't in the full coverage head piece and what not... I would just think it was a long skirt. Which, being I love wearing a long skirt, I wouldn't think twice about.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:21 PM on May. 19, 2010