What thoughts come to mind when you hear this statement from mothers of toddlers?

"I am potty training my toddler because I'm sick and tired of changing diapers."

Isn't that part of being a mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:06 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Um, I can understand wanting to be done with the diapers, but in reality, I don't think a toddler will use the potty themselves unless they are ready to. So it may just be a waste of time [IMO].
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:32 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Do you expect a mom to want to change diapers forever?
    Anonymous

• Not after a certain point it's not. That's like saying what she won't support her son even though he's 25 that's her job she's a mom.
    Anonymous

• OP

I said a TODDLER-age 1-2.
    Anonymous

• I don't get it, because honestly, I love changing diapers. I guess I'm weird...lol. I like spending that little bit of time with my 22 month old. And it's not a bother.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I get it, but also I think they need to be patient. I do think its ridiculous when a child is riding a skate board or playing guitar hero, but they are still in diapers. At some point you need to take charge, I know a few kids like that and their moms are exhausted at that point.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 9:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• From experience, I think that kids are potty trained when they are ready. Even if you rush them, they have accidents all the time. OK, so you don't change diapers anymore, you spot clean carpets, hand wash underwears and change beds every day... I don't know about you, but I'd much rather be changing diapers a few months longer and not have to deal with accidents...
    Anonymous

• I don't see a problem with that being in the mix of motivation.

If the kid's ready, they'll learn with the training, and good for them.

If the kid's not ready, then they won't learn, and moms will still be moms and change the needed diapers.
    Anonymous

• I'm confused, is the statement "I'm sick of changing diapers" that you are objecting to or is it the fact that they are potty training their 1-2 yr old? Either way I think "Good for you, kids can't poop their pants forever!" I'm potty training my 1 yr old, not cuz I'm sick of changing diapers but cuz I'm tired of cleaning pee out of the carpet every naked time. I'm letting her set her own pace, she tells me (sign language) when she has to go & I take her & set her on the potty. She has yet to go but she thinks its fun. I also put her on her potty when I go so she sees me do it. Frankly I think parents that wait till older to start potty training their kids are just lazy & don't wanna be bothered. If the kids is asking to sit on the potty then obviously they're ready to start the process, not like potty training happens overnight. I don't care if it takes her till she's 3 or 4 to "get it".
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:39 PM on May. 19, 2010