Am I crazy or is this just rude?

My father in law has been visiting from overseas and just left today. While he was here everyone from hubby's family kept writing and calling asking for specific presents from me and my husband. Don't get me wrong, I love giving gifts and I always send something for everyone, but I'm not used to this asking for specific things deal. And these are not necessarily cheap things they are asking for. For ex, my sister in law asked for the talking elmo doll...the one that costs like 85 dollars. It's like they think we're rich just because we live in the U.S and they like to get things from here that are really not affordable over there....and on top of that, they know that I send something for everyone and they think I can afford to send something expensive for each person.
I know I probably sound really bitchy right now, but I am damn tired from running from store to store searching for their gift requests. Just a vent...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• Send what you want to send. You are the gift giver. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 9:35 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i think that to demand anything from others is rude. i would consider these requests and either get my own presents that i thought were appropriate or reflected the gift i wanted to present to them that spoke about my feelings for or about them or just simply say i'll keep an eye out for a deal on that and send it to you if i find one... don't make yourself crazy because other people are...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I think asking for something specific AND expensive is rude. But maybe you can use what they ask for as an idea of what kind of things they want.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 9:38 PM on May. 19, 2010

• it is a bit rude to ask for a certain present. it should be up to the gift giver as to who gets what.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:38 PM on May. 19, 2010

• If they want these things then why don't they send money with the visiting person? I'm sure they have banks overseas that do currency exchanges so its not like they couldn't send the visiting person with a list and a little cash.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 9:40 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I think to expect a gift at all is rude, let alone asking for a specific gift. You are definitely not being bitchy!
    Anonymous

• That's rude and greedy of them to call you and ask for something specific. They should be greatful that you send them anything at all. Don't go by their wish list, you buy what you want and IF you want to. If you don't feel like buying anything then don't. You have no obligation to fill their greedy pockets with trinkets.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

• You're not crazy, that is extremely rude. You say you're willing to send gifts, but for doing something like that, I wouldn't have sent anything, except to the people who didn't ask for anything.
    Anonymous

• Where are they from? Tell them you cannot afford all of these things. Send nothing and they will get the idea.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:52 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I would just say " I will see what I can do" and then just get what you want and send that.
    They must think of you as Santa claus or something,lol. To them it probably isnt rude, they probably don't think of it that way. But to us, yes it is rude.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:59 PM on May. 19, 2010