Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Court question for ya.

If we take bm to court for child support would it be strictly just about child support or would it turn into a kitchen sink fight?

A few things to know-

1. she wasn't ordered to pay before because she had another child under three, but he's turning 5 this year

2. She goes to school, three classes a week

3. gets a state check, no job. (but plenty of time to have one)

4. we pay for everything, medical, dental, extra activities, school lunch etc.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (9)
  • girl take her lazy ass to court!!

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:44 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • what state are you in? have you gone to court for any other reason? is there a legal custody agreement in place? Does she have visitation? Does she use it? How much is her state check for? How much child support are you asking for/hoping to get? Do you need it? Why now?

    Answer by Nyx7 at 9:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • It all depends on your state. In my state, child support is governed by a different court than custody court. Also, even if they have a child under 3 and are on state support the non custodial parent has to pay at least something. Even if it is only $25 a month. My DSS Mom tried to get her $200/month payments lowered because she "wasn't working". The judge actually laughed at her and told her she was already paying below what the state thinks she should.

    Maybe contact an Attorney and see what they say.

    Answer by Angel8203 at 9:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • good questions.... We are in NH,We have gone to court more times then you could imagine, from false statements, to wrongful arrests to, to restraining orders, AND WAY MORE, final straw was she forged a note to court and kidnapped ss all the way across the US.There is a court order in place that states, parents share all rights and responsibilties, among other things like visitation,
    She has him 3 weekends a month and 3 hours on Wednesdays, we share all vacation, 50-50, and even give her extra time.
    check, no idea. Yes, we could use the help. He has a minor surgery coming up and she refuses to help out. She won't help pay for anything. I really don't know how much, maybe just a little help from her. That's all. I know and understand her financial situation but she has plenty of time to have a part time job. We all had to do it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • continued - Why now you ask? Well, she's had plenty of time to get herself together, it's time she helps out financially.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • You can look up the statute in your state by checking your county court website. Each state is different.

    The judge does not care if anyone is in school or has time to work or is lazy. The judge will look at the income situation, custody agreement, divorce decree (if they were ever married), and then apply the statute.

    Answer by ecodani at 9:57 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • By the way - we live in NH, have for awhile, but we dealt with court in Maine before we moved... funny how that works, since we've had him... 3 years now, we haven't gone to court once.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • it depends on why she gets her "state check". If that is her only income, I don;'t believe the court will garnish the government check to give you child support. But as the others have said, call a lawyer. Most will do a free consultation with you and let you know how strong your case against her is.


    Answer by VeronicaLee at 11:08 PM on May. 19, 2010

  • i doubt you will get anything to begin with but you can get an order and once she starts working she will have to pay all the back orders. I wouldnt expect much tho...

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on May. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.