DH unemployed - what are somethings I can do to help with bills. HELP!!

My DH was told Monday to go to the unemployment office on Monday. We live in ILL..so dam expensive so I work as well. My salary covers the mortgage. His checks covers everything else. Give it we won't be paying daycare and gas and parking for him but what are some things I can do? I already called 2 lenders but they told me I have to receive the 1st unemployment paycheck. Which will probably be in 2 weeks. My DH is a union carpenter. There's no work anywhere. I'm having a garage sale in 2 weeks, just wondering what else I can do. Any ideas will be very helpful! We have a toddler. So we have to buy diapers etc. We aren't doing bad but I just want to see if there is any help out there. Thank You ladies!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Clip coupons for groceries and only buy things on sale. Sell things on eBay. Maybe offer babysitting service in your home. If he is a carpenter, put an add on Craigs List offering his service. Also... check with the Union and stay up on the dues.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:50 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Donate plasma. DH does it sometimes when we are short on money. You both could do it. I live in Oklahoma and he gets $30-50 a visit twice a week.

Offer to evening and weekend childcare or you could pick a part time job if your schedule permits it.
    Anonymous

• We live in IL also and my hubby is unemployed. We recieve foodstamps and medicare until we can find something else. Besides that, we're going to school, and the PELL grant gives each of us extra money at the end of each semester.
    I also am starting my own florist business from home and have thought of babysitting other children but haven't yet. Time to get frugal! I hope things work out for you guys! xo
    Anonymous

• Yard sale, food banks, and prayer. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 9:57 PM on May. 19, 2010

• From OP:
    I currently attend school fulltime. I also have a tutoring job once a week. I won't be asking for PA assistance because I make more than enough to buy that. I was more worried about my bills. I do use coupons and am very frugal. I had DH clean the garage and put prices on items so that's rdy for the garage sale. But wasn't sure if I was missing anything I can be doing for help.
    Anonymous

• I work from home...not sure if this is something you might be interested in...

http://www.scentsy.com/my2scents

Have you signed up at huggies.com, gerber.com...there are tons of baby and toddler companies that send coupons, samples, and lots more...that has helped us.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 10:09 PM on May. 19, 2010

• join the military....
    Anonymous

• budget-meal planning can save you tons! Reduce your bills: Cut things that can be cut and are not necessary for daily living; cell phones, cable, Internet, gym memberships, etc. We only use cell phones, so we had to cut it down to 1 phone. Call your insurance company (or companies) and see what tweaks can be made on your policies to reduce your monthly bills. Sell whatever you can sell.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:34 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Oh, not sure if when you buy if it's name-brand or not. If it's consider store or off brands especially for things like diapers and baby wipes.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• what bills are you worried about? If your hubs isn't working don't you dare have cable or he will sit home and not try I know from experience! Medical bills you can call to negotiate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on May. 20, 2010