Evening primrose oil?

I have read that many midwives say you can begin inserting it vaginally at 36 weeks. And also take it orally... I have read conflicting stories as far as how much to take and how many to insert. I have 1000mg gelcaps...

have you ever done this? How many did you take orally and how many did you insert? What was your outcome?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• what does it do?
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 10:31 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Its supposed to help soften and ripen your cervix
    Anonymous

• I read about it. And honestly, I know how many women want to just have their baby toward the end. But really, your baby will come when it is ready. You don't want to rush it. The baby just may not be ready yet. Enjoy pregnancy. Because you made it this far......you owe the baby all the health in the world.
    But if you are looking to just get your vagina loosened up and ready for delivery, your hubby can rub plain old baby oil down there and gently massage the outer part of your vagina. But my delivery nurse did that for my first baby during the delivery process.....I was induced at 35 weeks because there was dangerously low amneotic fluid. But massaging it with baby oil or even a carrier oil at a health food store, like almond oil, would do the same thing. I would think anyways.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:40 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i agree with above poster. you need to hang onto that baby for as long as posible. there is a reason why you are pregnant 40 weeks. the baby needs that time. i know you are tired, but hang in there. the big day will come very soon!!! now go take a nap. lol
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 1:04 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I took it orally at 36 weeks... two a day.. one at breakfast and one at dinner... I never could do it vaginally.. That was a bit much for me. I can't say it worked but I was 70% effaced when i went in to be induced. I didn't help me with dialation just the effacement part... I don't think it can hurt honey....
    SophieLee

Answer by SophieLee at 1:42 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I was told by my midwife that it will not help you go into labor. Nothing really will unless your body is ready to go into labor anyways. As for helping to thin your cervix that much is true however that alone will not cause labor. I started taking it orally at 36 weeks with the intention of switching at 38 weeks to inserting it but after using it for a week and a half (I think 2 capsules per day) I was fully effaced at my appt. At that point there was no reason to take anymore. I still took until I was 39 weeks and 3 days before my water broke and I went into labor. Maybe it helped, maybe my body was working on it's own but I will for sure take it again!
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 2:01 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I definately wouldnt do it at 36 weeks. Keep the little one in there. My friend did it 2 days before she was due. She took one in the am and one at 7pm or so and called me at 10pm in labor and had her at 5am...I have seen it work. I would seriously wait though.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:12 PM on May. 20, 2010