If you were pregnant and found out that your baby would be mentally handicapped, would you abort it?

I've discussed this before with different people. If your baby was going to have Down's Syndrome or have a fairly severe mental handicap and you had the option to abort it, would you?

Personally, I wouldn't. I'd love whatever baby God gave me regardless, but I was curious how other moms feel.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:44 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Psalm 139 in part says (King David praying to the Lord)

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
    14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
    15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
    16 You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
    Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed.

God doesn't make mistakes. There are no defective children. Perhaps our idea of perfect and God's idea of perfect differ. I believe that God has a plan for every life, whether that life lasts 110 years, 1 month, or 5 hours. We may not understand it all, but I trust him.

If I were able to get pregnant, I would not abort. I am a mom by the miracle of ad
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:37 AM on May. 20, 2010

• with the number of people i've known who have been told there was something wrong with their child in utero only to deliver a healthy baby? hell no. it's been a while but unless the tests have become waaaay more accurate, i wouldn't act on them.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:45 PM on May. 19, 2010

• absolutely not. A child is a gift from god, no matter what. To me it's like saying, would you abort if you wanted a blonde hair blue eyed baby and knew you were gonna get a dark haired dark eyed baby? or if you wanted a girl and found out you were having a boy? there's not any difference to me.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 10:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

• No, I wouldn't.

That might affect whether or not I want to have more children after that, but it wouldn't change whether or not I'd keep my child.
    Anonymous

• BTDT.... I have a developmentally delayed child. Around 30 weeks pg a doctor came to me and said "you do know it isn't too late don't you?"

I was like WTF are you talking about?? I didn't understand what her diagnosis *could* mean but I knew that I could NOT abort her!! She is the most precious, sweetest little girl I have ever known.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:52 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i agree. i would love whatever child god gave me.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:53 PM on May. 19, 2010

• God doesn't give you babies, sex does. It doesn't say in the Bible that God gives people defective babies. This is a myth that people with defective babies HATE!

While you are loving your defective baby your husband may leave you and you may loose everything you have. That happens to people with defective children. Sometimes the parents have to get divorced for the baby to be able to get medical care. You don't know how you would feel about a defective baby. No one can know. You may not be able to love the baby. You may suffer profound PPD. You may not be able to attach to your baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:58 PM on May. 19, 2010

While you are loving your defective baby your husband may leave you and you may loose everything you have. That happens to people with defective children. Sometimes the parents have to get divorced for the baby to be able to get medical care. You don't know how you would feel about a defective baby. No one can know. You may not be able to love the baby. You may suffer profound PPD. You may not be able to attach to your baby. "

Omg..wow. Judgmental much? Who ARE you? Did I say that my religion has anything to do with the Bible?I believe that God gave me my son, and YOU have NO right to tell me I'm wrong. I don't care if you don't believe in God, but I DO believe in Him. I feel sorry for though. con't
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:01 PM on May. 19, 2010

• con't...If my husband left me because our baby was handicapped, so be it. I wouldn't want to be married to a man who wouldn't love our child regardless. Myself and my child would either do better than that, or I'd raise it as a single parent. I DO know that I'd love the baby because I loved my current child before he was ever born. I could never not love my own child. Maybe you can conceive of that, but we're obviously very different kinds of women. Maybe YOU might not love a handicapped child, but that doesn't speak for everyone.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:03 PM on May. 19, 2010

• gaill i believe god created every living being on this earth, and if i want to keep my "defective" baby i will!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:04 PM on May. 19, 2010