What would you do if your kid brought home something that wasn't his?

This has been bothering me for a while. One day I noticed the 10 year old boy I nanny for (Corbin) was wearing his expensive North Face jacket...but something looked off...it looked way bigger on him than normal. So I looked at it, and it turns out he and another boy must have gotten them mixed up at school, another kid's name (Will) was on this one and it was 2 sizes bigger than the one Corbin had. So I told Corbin to let his parents know so they could call Will's family (they know who he is) and trade back. But C's parents already knew and just told him to keep Will's since they are essentially the same thing. Will's family may not know who has Will's, as C's name wasn't in his.

If it were you, would you try to trade them back or just have your kid keep someone else's? C had a medium and now has W's XL...which is quite roomy for him. BUT now W probably has one that doesn't fit him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kid would take it back. If it was an accident ie they mixed up jackets no big trade back move on, if it was on purpose ie he stole something well then take it back, lecture, and severe punishment
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 10:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

• My son always ends up with another boys lunchbox (they are the same except for the name on the outside). We always just clean it up and send it back the next day. I would do the same thing with anything else that was brought home. If it were something more expensive I would definitely try to call the parents that night so they wouldn't worry.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:53 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I would have my son take it back. I have had this happen before, and called the other child's parent(s) to let them know about the mix up. Good luck.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 11:14 PM on May. 19, 2010