98 lbs and told get put on more

I'm 5'4 and i have only one living child (i say living kuse i have lost a child) both times where vary much unplanned but i love my son vary much and would have loved my little girl had she been born. but me and my husband are looking to have another child i was told that my son who was 4 lb 15 oz at birth was because i living with smokers at the time. i lost the girl to other things i wish to not remember. the point of my Q is y would my lbs have any thing to do with having another child and if they really do how so i put them on. every thing on the market now days is to help you lose the lbs not gain them?

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 10:51 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Most fertile women have to maintain a certain body fat percentage. Amenorrhoea (not having proper menstrual cycles) can be caused by being under weight. This can also cause women to miscarry.

You have to eat more good calories. Not fast food or chips or ice cream. You need to eat more quality foods: proteins, leafy greens, plenty of raw fruits and veggies, whole grains, beans. A weight gaining diet for someone in your height and weight range is about 2200 calories per day.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:03 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Your son being born under 5lbs I do NOT believe that was because you were living with smokers. I smoked almost a pack of cigarettes a DAY through out my ENTIRE pregnancy with my son, and I'm a small girl also (5'2 and 111lbs @ the time I became pregnant) and my son was born a healthy 8lbs 7oz. So they must be crazy to tell you that and to judge you like that. Anyway...if you're only 98lbs before you get pregnant, you'll gain the weight you need during pregnancy. You're a small girl...you have a fast motabolism, it's hard for small girls like us who have been small all their lives to put on weight, believe me, I've been trying.
    Anonymous

• women who are your weight and dont have much meat on their bones tend to have problems regulating their periods and ovulations. being over or under weight can cause infertility problems and as well cause more miscarriages. its not going to guarantee that you will get pregnant, but it will help make sure you have a healtier pregnancy and baby. im guessing that you dont eat a whole lot or a lot of junk, so you can start buy adding more healthy fats (beans and nuts) and also starches(potatoes and pastas) i have a friend who was very thin and her doc gave her some kind of pills to help add weight (not a lot just a little more healthy looking weight) she has gained like 20 pounds and looks really good!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 11:13 PM on May. 19, 2010

• 98lbs is pretty small for your height so I would think that putting some weight on would help with TTC. My mom was under weight and it took her 4 years to get pregnant with me and they think it was because of her weight. Every woman is different but on average women need 12% or higher body-fat to conceive.

You could try drinking whole milk, or at least getting whole milk in all your lattes if you're a big coffee drinker. Ensure drinks I think can help you gain. Healthy fats like, peanut butter or other nut butters. You could try going to a nutritionist, I'm sure they'd have better ideas.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 11:14 PM on May. 19, 2010

• The second person doesn't know what she is talking about.

Smoking or being exposed to second-hand smoke is associated with low birth rate. That doesn't mean everyone will have a low birth rate baby. Her baby may have weighed 10 pounds if she hadn't smoked. If you weigh 98 pounds you might not get pregnant or your homone levels may not be right and you might loose the pregnancy.

If you are underweight or malnourished you need to be concerned about what you eat at least 3 mo before ttc. Hormones are stored in fat. Not enough body fat and your female hormones can be affected. The nutrition that the baby gets for the first few weeks is from what you ate before you got pregnant. You need to take prenatal vitamins and eat well. You may need to eat some high fat foods in order to put on weight.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:16 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i did start prenatal vitamins and take them every day as well as i started eating more grains like shredded wheat in the morning instead of the quick mcds burrito
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 11:21 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i think like gaill said, malnourishment may be what they are looking at...maybe your lifestyle in general...only you and your dr. can know for sure. good job with the healthier breakfast choice!
    98 lbs at your height is not a healthy weight, and if you are planning a baby, you should do it when you are healthy.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:25 AM on May. 20, 2010

• YOU have to be healthy if you want a healthy baby!!!! And you cant concive if you have no body fat for a baby to develope!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on May. 20, 2010