Do you consider making your kid fat a form of child abuse?

A girl I work with has a 3 year old that wears a TEN in clothes. The little girl was pretty skinny until about a year ago. They go to McDonald's or somewhere the kid can get a kids meal almost every day. I feel bad for the kid. She's going to have a hard life like that. Do you think it's child abuse/neglect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on May. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Neglect is a form of abuse, so yes. It is irresponsible and sets up the child for a lifetime of health issues.
    Also, to this comment:
    "One kids meal a day isn't going to make a 3 year old that fat."
    I think if a child of three was given a McDonald's Happy Meal daily they would become fat. And if a parent is uneducated or lazy enough to allow that I imagine the child also drinks soda or juice all day and sits in front of the television.

A parent would be in trouble f they let a toddler smoke or drink alcohol, right? It's illegal for minors because it is causes health problems. Greasy fat-filled McDonald's does too. That is just how I see it.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:06 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I know someone who feeds their kid a large pizza hut pizza everyday after school, bacon & pork chops. Oh and coffee & soda. That is literally his whole diet. His doctor told his mom to change his diet & get him active because he has too many health problems. In this case, I do think it's child abuse/neglect.
    Anonymous

• if you're purposely making your child fat, or not doing anything to solve the problem once it's happened, then yes, I could see it being a form of child abuse. Childhood obesity can lead to things like diabetes that can affect someone for life.
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 11:18 PM on May. 19, 2010

• One kids meal a day isn't going to make a 3 year old that fat. There must be more going on.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 PM on May. 19, 2010

• it's probably just bad parenting. although it will cause long term health problems.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:19 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Not abuse, just lazy parenting who don't want to deal with making healthy meals and a whiny child begging for fattening fries, she should get apple dippers and juice instead of Fries and Soda. Obesity is a disease in this country, we have to learn by example. The mom should eat healthy and I'm sure she would pass that on to her child.
    Anonymous

• yes I believe that is a form of child abuse~ neglect... with all that unhealthy weight comes more issues... like heart disease.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:23 PM on May. 19, 2010

• If it reaches a point to where the child is seriously obese due to a diet provided by the parents, absolutely it's a form of abuse. A 3 year old can't prepare their own meals and know little to nothing about nutrition. That's where parenting comes in. If a child is suffering health problems because the parents can't do their job in feeding them then I think they should be taken from the parents if no efforts are made to fix it once the problem is addressed.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:23 PM on May. 19, 2010

• No.It might be ignorant and lazy to feed a kid bad food and too much of it but it isn't abuse.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:24 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i do believe it can be a form of neglect, more than abuse, but then again, neglect is abuse, ya know? as far as making them fat, it can come in many forms, including starting when they are infants and sticking a bottle in their mouths every time they cry, instead of giving them attention. it is way too common actually, and i think that may lead to finding comfort in food rather than human connection as adults, because subconciously, they are looking for the comfort the bottle gave them instead of mom or dad. to me, its inexcueable when it gets past a certain point. it is also a reflection of the parents eating habbits as well, ususally. your kids are going to like what you like, for the most part. its a whole lifestyle, and we as a country need to make better choices because its becoming an epidemic. very sad.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 11:27 PM on May. 19, 2010