Ever had a problem with DFAS?

This is a bit of a rant, but I could hit someone right now!

You'd think, being the military, they could get something right every now and then! Over a year ago, my DH was overpaid one month. We recieved a "bill" a few months later, paid it, and went about our business. Then, months later, we got a call from a collection agency trying to get the money. After numerous calls and faxes to DFAS, and repeated calls and faxes to the agency - it's STILL not fixed. I just got another call today. I've already faxed them the proof of payment TWICE.

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHH. First THEY screw up the paycheck, then THEY turn us in to collections even though it was paid immediately, and now THEY aren't helping to get it fixed.

Anyone had similar issues or complaints?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 11:18 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I feel for you. My ex was in the military. Right before he got out, he received a really odd paycheck. We placed numerous calls and were assured time and again he had been underpaid and they were simply paying him back pay he was due.

A year later, he gets a letter from the military, wanting the overpayment. It came from the Navy's legal department, and was rather threatening. (He had just re-enlisted at this point) I sent them copies of our phone bills showing the phone calls and dates, and added who he had spoken to and what they had discussed. In the meantime, they start taking the money out of his check.

Six months later, he gets a letter saying they had checked again he didn't OWE anything after all. However, he never got back the money they had taken from his check.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:37 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Yes. My sister in law (they are Army) had the exact thing happen when her hubby returned from the middle east. Have you personally gone to the finace office on your base? We have been underpaid. When my husband promoted while deployed, we didn't see his pay increase till 5 months after his official promotion date. It's crap like this that can put additional stresses on our military and their families. Stresses they do not NEED!...  Good Luck!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:54 AM on May. 20, 2010

• At least they notified you. I have had friends that have just had money disappear from their pay check and barely had any money that pay. No notification or anything....
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 9:10 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Army, a friend of mine had that happen. He had a wife and child, and suddenly no paycheck. When he asked about it, they said they had been overpaying him for over a year. Instead of taking a little each check, they took his entire check for months. He went out and got a part-time job to try to cover, his commander insisted he quit it. After 4 months of trying to work things out with the military, getting no where, getting no check, he packed up his family and went AWOL. I never saw them again.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:26 AM on May. 20, 2010

• My DH receives his pay by check in the mail. When we recently moved one of his checks still got sent to the old address. We have contacted them several times asking that they cancel that check and resend us one. He had put in the change of address with the Navy but that one had already been sent out, we never received it. Its been several months and still have not gotten any results.

He was also underpaid for several months, they fixed the problem but we haven't seen the backpay.

With everything our military does for us you would think that the least the government could do is not mess up their pay.
    TemptMagick7

Answer by TemptMagick7 at 10:03 AM on May. 20, 2010