What is a "good salaery" to you?

I am planning on attending college for teaching, and the average salary of a graduate is $34,000 a year. To me, this is "good money" considering I grew up lower-middle class. What do you consider making good money? Is $34,000 a lot to you? Or is it next to nothing? Just looking for other opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you can save for retirement and send your kids to college, then that is a good salary

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 AM on May. 20, 2010

• That's all relative. It depends on where you're living, and what your expenses are. $34k wouldn't be much for my family, but in some places and instances a family could very well live on that. If I think of a decent salary, I think of around $70-$80k.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:25 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i think 34 a yr is okay for starting off .. but i wouldnt be happy with it for the long run. i want to be eventually making atleast 100 a yr for myself, and my SO to be making at least 60 a yr .. but if you start at 34, thats okay because you should get raises. i was raised lower middle class for hlf of my life, and then upper for hlf .. i watched my mom work her way up to 100 grand a yr and our lives have been so much for fun since then. shopping trips in manhattan, awesome vacations and cruises, going out and eating, nice houses, shes been able to support me through college. its great. i want to be able to do the same for my kids...
    plus we live in NY so shit is really expensive. were paying 1300 a moth for a 1 bdrm apt right now
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:26 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I live in (a very expensive part of) CA. So while 34K is an okay amount, I wouldn't be able to live on anything under $45K I think.
    Anonymous

• We could never make it on 34k. DH is making 56k 3 years out of college and we scrape by each month. I would say 80k is good. 100k+ is comfortable. DH is going back for an MBA, I'll be happy when we're making 100k min.
    Anonymous

• For us that is good as the secondary income, Our main income needs to be at least $55K if we want to clear all our bills each month and keep our house.

When we had two jobs DH made just below $50K and I was making right around $27K, we were comfortable but still had really bad months where we struggled.

After losing my job we made lots of cuts, paid off debt, and really took a good hard look at what we were spending each month. Since we were no longer paying for daycare, work clothes for me, lunches, gas for the car, and other expenses that go along with working it pretty much evened out. In the long run the second income didnt go as far as we thought it did.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:30 PM on May. 19, 2010

• Depends on what you do, where you live and if you'll have two incomes. If I were in a relatively small city, that would be okay and a satisfying profession (which weighs a lot for me). If your dh has his own income then it would be great. I think to start it's good. I live in Seattle and you can't live in Seattle (city of) for that money alone. For our city and lifestyle with kids it has to be at least 100K.
    Anonymous

• OP here- That's the average starting salary for a teacher. Right now we are living on less than $25,000 a year, debt free, assistance free, and owning our own home. It's a tight situation, but we get by. The longer you teach, the more you make. Topping out around $57,000. I can't imagine living off 100K! To me that's an astronomical amount of money!
    Anonymous

• Wow, where on earth do you live??? I seriously didn't know that a whole family could live on less than 25k... or less than 40k for that matter...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I live in SC and it's totally doable to live on less than 25K a year, depending on what area of the state I suppose. I'm not saying that's what we make, but I have plenty of friends and family who make far less than that still manage to get by. DH and I could get by on less than that if we had to, as we have had to do it before! And that was with no assistance, no debt/loans, etc... That's one important reason why I love living here... there are plenty of nicer areas and we can live in them without being a millionaire! (not saying we do live in the nicest area either...but nice things are more attainable here I suppose?)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:04 AM on May. 20, 2010