If You Would Have Been Allowed To....

Would you have delivered your children in a different position than on your back?

While I was quite happy lying in the the hospital bed and delivering on my back with my first, being on my back was agony with my second, I wanted to be in a squatting position, and with my third I was thankfully able to deliver in the position that was most comfortable to me at the time, on my hands and knees!

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 11:33 PM on May. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was determined NOT to be on my back, because it made no sense to me at all to be in a position that makes the baby go against gravity to come out, AND a position that closes the birth canal. I planned on trying to squat, but in the end I was too weak. Hands and knees didn't seem to work. I couldn't put any weight on my lower backbone or back, it felt so wrong like I was squishing my kid inside me! LOL! I ended up sort of on my right side with my feet up on the bar.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:36 PM on May. 19, 2010

• i had back labor with my first, and i feel like i wouldve benefitted from being able to move around rather than lay still on my back, it just doesnt seem natural when you think about it. look at every other mammal that gives birth, and you see them moving around getting comfortable and stuff, i think it is shameful that most hospitals wont let you move around. hopefully, i will be able to try to find one that does when i go into labor with this one, i worry about having back labor again, and dont want to be on my back!
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 11:38 PM on May. 19, 2010

• All three of my kids were born with me basically sitting up... I had the back of the bed up so I was seated and my legs bent at the knees to either side of the bed. For whatever reason, that's what felt the most natural/comfortable to me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:40 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I was young, dumb and knew no better. Now, I will be using a midwife, different positions and have it at home if possible...Although my experience was pretty much awesome, I now realize it could have been so much better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 PM on May. 19, 2010

• omg, I hated the position I was in with my first born. I TOLD the nurse no stirrups and she put my legs there anyways. I was pretty much forced into this semi sitting uncomfortable position because of how she moved the bed and my legs for me. It was awful.

My second baby was born with me kneeling on the floor of our bedroom. My hands were on the bed, as was my head, and my knees were on the floor. It was AMAZING.
    hippiemamaof2

Answer by hippiemamaof2 at 11:57 PM on May. 19, 2010

• I had an epidural and had to be on my back because my legs were weak, I couldn't even hold one of them up because I had to be on my side because of my blood pressure and didn't have time to let the epidural even out before I hit 10cm, I went from 4cm to 10 in 2 hours. But to tell you the truth that is probably how I would have delivered anyway. I was comfortable and only pushed for about 45 minutes.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:40 AM on May. 20, 2010

• No one ever asked me to push a certain way. I delivered on my side the first time, and sort of sitting up the second time. With my first, I pushed how I was most comfortable. With my second, I had such a sudden urge to push that I sort of leaned forward, started pushing, and he was born shortly after, in that position.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:43 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I delivered my son lying on my side.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:53 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I never "had" to be in any position!! My first, I did push in that position, my second I was on hands and knees, my 3rd I was kinda on my back, but more upright. My last one I was on my side :) My midwife worked with me and let me do what I needed!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 8:06 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I was only on my back at the very end when it was time for her to actually make her appearance. In fact, I couldn't be on my back during the pushing. When I started pushing her heart rate went way down and after changing positions a few times, I ended up having to push on my hands and knees. As far as being on my back during the actual delivery, I was fine with that. I wasn't completely laying down but more like reclined.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:45 AM on May. 20, 2010