Copying Keys- where and how much?

I have lost my keys. If I cant find them, where can I get them copied? It was just my house key and car key. The car key cost around $100 at the dealership. Is there anywhere else I can get a copy for cheaper? And the house key... where can I get it copied? The nearby stores I have are Walmart, HEB, and Home Depot.

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 12:07 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• walmart will usually do it for a few bucks actually. its been a while since i got any made, so the price may have gone up, im not sure, but its very reasonable. the house key should be no problem, but however the car key could. some keys have something on them(im not sure what it is or how they tell) that informs the people they are not allowed to make a copy of it, and its common in newer car keys. its worth a try, though, all they can tell you is no. good luck!
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 12:09 AM on May. 20, 2010

• If your car key has a chip in it, then the only place you can go to is the dealership.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:11 AM on May. 20, 2010

• What kind of car, what year? Most new cars have to be copied at the dealer unless it is lower end. (I make keys at Home Depot).
    The house keys can be anywhere from 99 cents to 3.00 depending on what kind of lock. Been there, done that. :( Sorry for your loss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I was able to have my car key copied a few times. It is a special process, I can't recall the name but if you don't want/need the chip in it, it is fine. I found my keys actually later on so it was okay. BUT if 100 dollars is all it will take for a new key and new alarm thing then i'd probably do it. The house keys can be done at wal-mart though. Let me just say though, if by any means the keys could have been found by someone who may know where you live or could find out (Say your wallet/id was missing too), i'd get your locks changed altogether.

I hope this helps!

PS when you get a copy of the new keys, make several copies of it and get a magnetic key box. They can be hidden in many inconspicuous places on your vehicle.
    thebatesfamily

Answer by thebatesfamily at 12:34 AM on May. 20, 2010

• If you lost your house key, you're going to have to call a locksmith. Frankly, if you lost your key, you don't want to keep it keyed the same. Ask the locksmith to rekey the lock - he will change the inside "code" and make a new key - or as many as you request. Some locksmiths don't charge much, some charge up the wazoo. For the car key, a locksmith can also make you a new key - it will most likely cost more than the house key. But again, you can't copy a key you don't have. Wal-Mart, HEB, and Home Depot are WORTHLESS to you in this situation. You NEED to call a LOCKSMITH.
    Anonymous

• Everyone else is right. If you don't have a copy of the key - you need to call a lock smith for your house. For the car - the dealership. The $100 fee is because it has a chip in it for the anti-theft ignition and you'll just have to bit the bullet and pay that again.

The house key - if you don't have the original - you need to call a locksmith OR buy new locks with new keys.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:26 PM on May. 20, 2010