filling a cavitie on a 5 year old... ADVICE PLEASE

my daughter is 5 years old. she has 5 cavities that need to be filled. Do you recommend i have her put to sleep so they can knock everything out or do you think its better to keep her awake through it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Health

• I have mixed feelings. Does putting her to sleep involve getting an IV? We did it with nitrous. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Please please PLEASE tell us she's seeing a pediatric dentist for this???

I personally (I have a 4 and a 5 year old) would certainly have my child knocked out, yes. It can smell terrible, taste awful, and the sounds are traumatizing. Best to wake up refreshed, numb, and not risk fearing dentists.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:38 AM on May. 20, 2010

• My dd was 5 with 6 cavaties. The dentist would onlyt knock her out. It was awful for me. I sat with her concerned about her heart rate. She was fine they would assure me. After the procedure they told me to take her home with no play just lounge and watch tv. They did not prepare me for the acid trip she would be freaking out on. She was freaking out for 5 hours saying there were little green people under the blanket. One minute laughing the nexy crying. It was literally like she was a crazy drug adict. Horrible. I changed dentists and will never have my kids put under again. Gas is the way to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on May. 20, 2010

• you didn't need to be concerned about her heart rate .... that's what the heart monitor is for. 6 cavities is a LOT... it was surely in her best interest. They wouldn't risk their careers on her life if it wasn't best for her.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:47 AM on May. 20, 2010

• PS ..... how does a child not even in school yet get 6 cavities? That's so many...... did you take her to the dentist because she was in pain or was it a routine visit? My kids are 4 & 5 and neither have had a cavity yet.... and bad teeth is in our genes. I had FULL DENTURES top and bottom by 25 years old! My Mom did by 30 and my Dad did by 40. Yet with eliminating some foods (raisins and fruit snacks for example) and brushing and flossing daily we've been able to avoid a single cavity on either kid yet
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:50 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I am a Mom, I have a right to be worried. If you must know sure 6 cavities are alot and I have a dd who loves sugar. She would hide under the kitchen table with the sugar bowl at 3. Let me crown you Mother of the year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Of course u have a right to be worried.... but her safety/care is their whole world! If she wasn't healthy/strong enough to have been knocked out, they'd have done gas instead, for sure!!!! If they made a bad call and she was hurt under their care, they'd have the legal system to answer to, the stakes were high. I know personally I could never have sat thru 6 fillings as a small child. Her heart, breathing, etc were closely monitored the whole time.....

but seriously if you were concerned about her heart rate, you have to think about a cavity abcessing and going to her brain, killing her in her sleep. I don't think a lot of people realize how deadly serious oral hygiene and sugar intake really is. Google Deamonte Driver... he is a precious boy who died of a gruesome brain infection after a cavity turned ugly. And 3 year old's should not have free run of a kitchen. I'm sure Deamonte Driver's Momma knows that now too.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:07 AM on May. 20, 2010

• my son had 6 cavities at the age of 4 yrs old....thanks to those flipping fruit snacks that outta be banned...JMO
    but he had to have 3 done at a time...the dentist gave him local pain medicine and he was upset about it and the dentist soothed him with telling him she was giving him silver stars,,,,he remembers it and was afraid to go in for a check up but since he laid off the fruit snacks all he got was a cleaning he felt so good about it....I do don think your a bad mom...Stay away from the fruit snacks and eveything will be okay....BTW....my son is not good about brushing his teeth and he loves his sugary foods but the one thing that hurts kids teeth the most is fruit snacks!!! and alot of those drinks we give kids wears on the enamal...the worst drink out there is those gallon jugs of Hawaiian punch....that has more acid in it then a serving of coke or pepsi...anyway do research it and find a good pediatric dentise
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on May. 20, 2010

• My son also had to have a bunch of cavities filled, we knocked himout! There was no way it could of been done otherwise. Did your dentist say anything about the enamel on your daughters teeth? We found out that the enamel on our son's teeth never formed right. When he was asleep, the dentist put a sealant on and he hasn't had another cavity since. Just to let you know, after his appointment, he slept for about an hour, got up , and was back to his rambunctious self! No problems at all!
    Good Luck!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 4:21 AM on May. 20, 2010