what could I have done?

I went to go visit my parents over this past weekend I haven't seen them in 5 years finally got a chance to go anyway I walk in their home and it is filthy and crowded just stuff all over the place I just kept my thoughts to myself but deep inside I wanted to help make it look nice. I just didn't want to move anything since they pretty much know what n where everything is. I just enjoyed my visit and came home to my clean house... Whew! but I was sad to go I would like to go again soon to visit or maybe this time do some straighten up.... Some people just live this way yuk!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• my sister tells me that my mothers house is in the same condition, and i havent been there for over 10 years now. i cant imagine, becasue she was so clean when i was living there, it might just be the fact they arent worried about it as much now because the kids are grown. depending on your relationship with them, bring it up in a nice way, like "have you been feeling ok, is there anything i can help you with, maybe clean up a little for you, or help you re-arrange". that might work. in my case, my mother and i are not close, and my sister says its so bad, her 13 year old has only been there once, and her 10 year old, never. i have no idea if i can even let my 7 year old see his grammas house! at least you got to go inside, lol. maybe they will let you help.
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 1:19 AM on May. 20, 2010

• How old are your parents? It's not uncommon for older people to let things accumulate, and it can be a sign of onset of dementia or Alzheimer's. Or if their health isn't quite as good as it was, cleaning may be too much of a task.

I might have at least made sure the kitchen was clean enough, and that there were no fire hazards.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:20 AM on May. 20, 2010

• You should have helped them out. As people get older cleaning is harder and difficult. My Grandmother who has alway kept a beautifully clean home now has a maid. Luckily she can afford it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I say offer to do a few things while you chat. Clear off the table, sweep the floor....
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 6:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2010