Will a bakery sell me a cake box and cake boards... like a grocery store bakery? For a full sheet cake... the hobby stores don't have them.

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 1:27 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• bakeries have tubs of cake mix they won't sell you anything outright...what you need to do is some math..how many cake mixes go into a sheet cake? my guess is four of them because each mix makes a 9x13 cake size well make four of those and you have a full sheet
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on May. 20, 2010

• they may, your best bet is to call and ask, also check walmart sometimes they have them with wilton supplies, or craft stores like michaels, also call grocery stores that sell cakes they may be able to get them for you cheaper.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 1:55 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I don't see why not. Call around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Wow anon:54, can't you read? She didn't say anything about mix.

OP - you'd have to call around and ask. One cake lady near me uses thin plywood covered in paper and no box. A bakery near me has special heavy-duty cardboard boxes that are to be returned, and I know they won't sell theirs. They also just use cake cardboard for the cakeboard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Ask at the bakery at your grocery store, I have gotten stuff from them and containers from the deli. My aunt uses cardboard covered in tinfoil when she can't get a cake box. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 PM on May. 20, 2010

• they have always just given me one when I needed it- but then I am from a small town.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:45 AM on May. 21, 2010

• Do you have any cake supply stores in your area? That would be my first choice. If you don't, I would call some bakeries and ask.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 9:57 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I would call around.. If it's a Sheet Sized cake, you may be better off getting the thin plywood, and making one, like a previous poster stated
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 11:38 AM on May. 21, 2010

• I am anon :54
    Sorry I have a learning disability....next time have an open mind as to why somebody makes mistakes
    Anonymous

• I get cake boards and boxes at WalMart all the time. They have a wilton section back with the crafts, and have everything from crash cake sized boards and boxes up to sheet cake sized and they are only a couple of dollars each. We also have them at Hobby Lobby. Depending on how soon you need them www.wilton.com has an ordering section.

I would probably just call around and ask I am sure there is someone out there who will sell you a box at least and if you still need a board you can buy big cardboard shipping boxes at WalMart cut out a rectangle and cover it with Parchment paper or foil.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:56 PM on May. 21, 2010