how do i get a dog to stop digging

ok i live in a duplex house and i just recently put in some sod in the front yard (this is were my dogs and my neighbors dogs play and go potty) well my neighbors dogs keep digging holes in the new yard and its ticking me off(they said they cant discipline there dog if they dont see them doing it) well i tried putting poop in the holes and covering it but they always find new places to dig and its starting to get on my nerves i had paid for the sod (almost 300 and i and my friends installed it ourselves) so please someone help
thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Pets

• I was going to say put their poop in it but I see you've tried that. Why are the dogs unsupervised in the front yard? Is it fenced? If they can't discipline their dogs when they don't see it happen then I'd tell them that they need to watch their dogs or they can't be in the yard that YOU paid for!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:33 AM on May. 20, 2010

• i have tried talking to them and they sit there and agree with me but dont do anything, then they get mad at me for yelling at there dogs, also they are both female dogs so they are also killing the grass and ihave asked them to water the spots they see there dogs pee at and they never do..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on May. 20, 2010

• you should call animal control. they should have their dogs out unsupervised without a leash. i was going to say to put cement under the dirt in the places they dig, but then you said they dig everywhere. plus it would suck for you to spend more money because of someone elses dogs. yes, i would definately talk to them first and explain the problem, and if it continues, i would call animal control
    sstokes86

Answer by sstokes86 at 2:58 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I'd just start turning the hose on them lol, if they won't do something about it then I would and I'd make it a mess/pain for them to not watch their dogs (hence the hose)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:02 AM on May. 20, 2010

• cant call animal control on them because the yard is fenced in and i dont want any issues with any of my neighbors, i think i will start spraying them with the hose!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on May. 20, 2010

• put cayenne pepper on the grass..when they go to sniff it, it will burn their nose..and they will stay away, same with if they do dig thru it, when they go to clean their paws later when licking, it will burn their tongues.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:30 AM on May. 20, 2010

• The dogs are bored if they are digging. Get them one of those congo thingys they sell at the pet store to entertain them while they are out side... Good luck...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I was gonna suggest putting down chicken wire under rocks -that's what we did in our dog run...but if it's grass I have no idea
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:53 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Try laying chicken wire then put dirt over it or use bricks or rocks on the spots they have already dug and put more on the spots you think they might dig. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:38 PM on May. 20, 2010