How do I say goodbye, again?

I dated David 20 yrs ago and he broke up with me. I moved on. I got married, had two amazing kids, and for whatever reasons, ended up getting divorced from my kids dad. So,,,David comes back into the pic 20 yrs later, here I am a single mom. I have been raising my kids on my own for 7 yrs. I have been so careful about who I have dated and keeping it seperate from my kids, including David, who was so bent on meeting my kids! Is it bad timing, or is it not the right guy, maybe its a combo of both. Its hard being a single parent alone for going on 7 yrs, I cant even explain it, but my kids, even though they are teens now, still come first. I guess I have to say goodbye to David, before he even gets to meet my kids, but I know Im doing the right thing as a paret

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• As parents especially a single parent we want to protect our children from everything. Having this guy wanting to meet your children is his way to say he wants to take whatever is going on with you both to the next level. If you don't feel in your heart that you want this man to stick around then say your goodbyes and let him know that you are just not comfortable with what is going on between you two. If this has something to do with you personally that your scared that your children will not approve of you dating someone. I know plenty of single parents that have meant someone and starting dating them have meant there children and there children still come first.

My DD comes before anyone even her father.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Why do you feel dating David and raising your kids are incompatible? I am a single mother of a 9 & 6 yr old, and I have a great relationship with my boyfriend, who is not their father. It was hard, especially before he met the kids, to make it work, but we managed. And now that he's met them, and we've moved on to living together, things are great for us. He is the ONLY man that my kids ever met that I dated, and they took to him very well, simply b/c I was very honest with them and told them I was seeing someone and wanted them to meet him, and to tell me honestly what they thought of him. If there is something about him that makes you feel that bringing him around your kids is a bad idea, then yes, hard as it is, you should let him go. But if you're just nervous about the kids not liking him, don't end things, just don't rush to meeting the kids. Take your time on it. But I do agree, kids come first.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:15 AM on May. 20, 2010