Can a baby inherit acid reflux?

My husband has really bad acid reflux. I had it really bad too when I was pregnant with our daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD was born with it. She will be 2 in 2 days and it has gotten alot better in the past year but the first year of her life was miserable for her and us. I hated seeing my child having a hard time like that. I just got my gallbladder out and yes my hubby and I have had issue with reflux in the past so inherit it I don't know all that but that is what has happened with our child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I don't know about heredity but I have it and my daughter had it when she was a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on May. 20, 2010

• breast fed babies deal much better with these issues.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:58 AM on May. 20, 2010

• It depends, do you know the cause of your DH's reflux? Yours was caused by your pregnancy, which is a common side effect of pregnancy & obesity, and typically goes away after the birth of the child or you lose weight, so no worries there. But if your DH has a condition that is heritable and one of the symptoms of said heritable condition is reflux, then yeah, there's always a chance your child will develop the same issues if it inherits the condition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I don't THINK so, but I have it, and so did my son. In infants, acid reflux is most commonly attributed to an immature LES, which allows the acid to flow back up, which is why you often hear of babies "outgrowing" reflux. Their LES have matured, so it is no longer a problem.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:43 AM on May. 20, 2010

• It depends on the cause, if the cause is Genetic then yes. But most acid reflux in adults is enviormentally caused. Acid reflux is common in newborns because the esophageal sphinter isn't fully developed
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:20 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Happy, that's not true. My son projectiled MY milk, and my daughters reflux started while I was breastfeeding. Infact breast fed babies can have a worse time of it because Momma's milk is the consistancy of water. Formula fed babies can add rice to their formulas to help thicken it up so it "sticks" better in their tummies. My sons reflux went away on formula, my daughter required medss for hers. It's heartbreaking
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I don't know because my daughter has had it bad since she was a couple months old, but my husband and I don't really have it.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:28 PM on May. 20, 2010