Can you feel when you're dialated?

Not with your hand... like just feel it in your cervix?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Good response OP :) If you feel something weird than my guess is that this baby is lower in the birth canal then your other 3 were. When their head is pushing down on your cervix, sometimes you can almost feel it when you sit down. At least thats what happened to me
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:25 PM on May. 21, 2010

• i couldn't.
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 4:35 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I did. I could not sit down straight down. I had to lean to the side to sit down.

Answer by louise2 at 5:27 AM on May. 20, 2010

• That was labor for me. The labor pains come from the opening of the cervix. Just like menstrual cramps, the cervix opens slightly and I mean slightly, for the release of the blood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I was dialated to a 3 before I actually went into labor. I didn't feel anything special happen down there...
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:30 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I was dilated to 4 cm before I went into labor and didn't know it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on May. 20, 2010

• When you get to 10 you feel the urge to push. Always always wait for the urge. Never push purple or on command or to somebody counting. It is very common, but not evidence based. Never never listen if somebody tells you not to push until the doctor gets there unless they say don't push because the cord is hanging out. That would be a don't push! But waiting on somebody to show up and save the day could damage your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on May. 20, 2010

• anon :49... what the hell are you talking about? She never asked anything about the urge to push!! As for your advice, I think you should state your sources before you give advice like that one!!

OP... just adding to what anon :49 said - YES you should try to wait until there is a nurse, doc or midwife in the room before you start pushing! My first baby literally flew out in one push... had nobody been in there, he would have fallen on the floor! Not to mention how much you can tear if you dont have someone massaging your perineam (sp?) as for not pushing to counting... alot of us find it very helpful to have someone count as we are pushing because it gives us the sense of accomplishment when we are able to push for 10 seconds.

To answer your question though, a good sign that you are dilating is that you typically start to lose your mucous plug but no... you cant feel yourself dilating
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:18 PM on May. 20, 2010

• with my first son i was at a 6 when i started to feel pain my second i was at a 4 and labor went pretty quick
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 3:15 PM on May. 20, 2010

• LOL, well I think I know about pushing already thanks. This is my fourth. I don't remember being able to feel that though, the dialation. i don't think I can, but it feels weird down there like its open something. I dont mean in labor either. And all the babys i've had the nurses counted to 10 while I pushed the kid out, and they call me a pro at having babies lol. so i think i'm good on that one.
    Anonymous