My DH wants to name our son...

My DH wants to name our son Rasheen after his brother who was killed a few years back. I totally understand him wanting that name, and im fine with it being a middle name, just not a first name. Our baby will be half white and half black and i just dont think it'll fit for me. I wanted to name the baby Malik which is my DH middle name? How do i break it to him that i dont want to name our baby Rasheen

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Both ways are beautiful. With Malik first or Rasheen first. Tell your husband that you like the sound of both and that you fully agree with honoring his brother, but it is more important to you to honor your husband himself.

Answer by Bmat at 8:05 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Tell him you don't like it & as a bi racial baby you think he'll get teased less as Malik as a 1st name. Tell him that you respect his desire to honor his brother but don't like they way it sounds as a 1st name, more than willing to use the name though. IMO Rasheen sounds like a name more suited for someone who is fully black than for 1/2 & 1/2, I too struggled w/ what/what order to name my biracial one. Good luck mamma, they're gonna get teased enough (all kids not just the biracial ones), why make their name such a big issue?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:13 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Thankyou! Never thought of saying that its more important to honor my DH himself
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Malik Rasheen is a cute name. I agree let him know you love the name but was really hoping to name him after your husband. My son should have been the fouth. Still cringe at that one. He ended up with George as his middle name cause it's a family name on both sides.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:17 AM on May. 20, 2010

• they both sound the same to me , whats the difference?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on May. 20, 2010

• If he doesn't want to budge you can always go Rasheen Malik and just call him Malik (by brother goes by his middle name) But Malik Rasheen is really cute (I've always liked the name Malik)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:02 AM on May. 20, 2010