Is this too big of an age gap?

We don't have any kids my childs age (11) where we live, all younger (8 down to 3 yrs old) My child was playing with them but now they are just playing with each other and not asking my child to play with them. She is very disappointed. She has a friend come over every couple weeks to play that lives aways away but it's so nice to have kids in your area too. Would you just have your child continue to play outside hoping they will ask her again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on May. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was going through the same thing with my son, but thankfully some new people moved in our neighborhood with boys his age. I would let her continue to play outside as long as SHE wants too. I know from personal experience it is hard when there isn't anyone to play with.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 8:54 AM on May. 20, 2010

• hmmmm.. that must be hard for ure daughter. feeling left is out is the worst feeling ever !! since im not fit to answer this question (as im not a parent yet) so im not going to give any advice. but if i were u i would either go out and keep my daughter busy anyways, having tea parties with her, or just dragging her doll house in the front yard and playing dress up with her.
    but i dont think thats too big of an age. when my sister was 11 (she's 13 now btw) she used to play with her younger cousins and neighborhood friends (who were often under 9-10) all the time. and the funny thing was she was like their leader deciding what to play !! :P when i complained to her once that she's not being fair and should also let other kids decide what games should they play , she looked at me with an obvious look on her face and said ''oh they are too small to decide, they dont know better than me !! " lol
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 8:56 AM on May. 20, 2010

• but she does take care of everyone like a big sister.. making sure they all play nice and safe
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 9:08 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I would look into summer camp, art classes or what ever she is interested in as a way to meet local kids her age.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:55 PM on May. 20, 2010