My friends kids

We have some friends who have a daughter my daughters age and they are in the same class at school. She is such a brat and is really rude to other kids and adults as well. We love hanging out together as families, but our daughters don't get along. My daughter tries hard to make it work, but the other girl is so domineering and bossy and just plain rude, that it makes the get togethers very hard. She has even stolen other kids books at school so they can't study and get a better grade than her. I don't want to give up the friendship we have with the parents, but they just don't care that their daughter is very unpleasant and noone wants to be around her.

workingmommy221

Asked by workingmommy221 at 8:57 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Do you feel comfortable talking to your friends about their daughter? Are they fully aware that their daughter is doing these things? That is a really tough situation. I would say (IMO) if you start noticing her being a bad influence on your own child that you may need to intervene or stop the play dates altogether.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 8:59 AM on May. 20, 2010

• The next time you make plans with them make it an adults only kind of a thing. If you want to be friends with them that is fine but just do it without the girls so your DD isn't stuck playing with their daughter the whole time. If they ask why just be honest and tell them that the girls don't seem to get along so well and there is no point in trying to force a friendship.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:54 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I couldn't be friends with someone who doesn't share in the same or similiar parenting style and values that I have, especially when my child is the victim...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:26 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I would at the very least make sure she behaved properly while at my house. you should be able to tell her that she is acting rude or say that we dont talk that way in our house or that if DD had something first, then she needs to get give it back...etc. you have a voice in your house. if your friends dont back you up...then i think you should really be reconsidering this friendship. also, i have always been able to discuss with my friends their children's behaviors at school. you could always say something like, i have heard from DD and even from teachers (if you have) that your daughter has been picking on other students.....that didnt sound like what i wanted, but you could bring up the behavior and maybe ask about how they handle it at home....i dont know.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:40 AM on May. 21, 2010

• i think after a while my friggin big mouth would get in the way and i would say something... i would talk to your dd and see what she says about the girl...because honestly and i think you know this the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 11:52 AM on May. 21, 2010