How can I make my fingernails stronger and stop hangnails?

I decided to grow my nails after clipping them short for the past couple of years. What can I do besides wearing gloves when cleaning and keeping my hands moisturized?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 9:03 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• You can buy nail strengtheners just about anywhere. I've never had to use one (I was blessed with very strong nails) so I wouldn't be able to recommend one to you. With the hangnail thing...I do wish I knew what could stop those. I get them all the time!
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 9:08 AM on May. 20, 2010

• They have nail polishes that have hardeners in them, it says it right on the bottle, and for hang nails go out and get some cuticle oil(: also after washing hands or wetting hands make sure to dry them welll ive learned that helps alot
    IzabellaBugg

Answer by IzabellaBugg at 9:08 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I was watching Dr. Oz and they were saying if you take clear polish and put garlic in it, and let it set for a couple of days, it would make your nails harder than if you put aqulic on them. They weren't specific on how long you wait after you put the garlic in, but claim it will do the trick. Hope this helps.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:48 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Always use a good base coat and top coat and always keep your nails polished.  File and shape instead of clipping and moisturize frequently.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:26 AM on May. 20, 2010

• eat lots of green veggies and good fats. use natural cleaning products like vinegar and baking soda.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:06 PM on May. 20, 2010

• I've been using the Nail Experts Strong Results Length and Strength Complex for years and it does a great job. Its usually $6 but its on sale right now for $3.49 you can get it at www.youravon.com/dhullum promotional code fsany will get you free shipping!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 11:55 PM on May. 22, 2010