Last day of school is next Thursday and I'm dreading it...

I've already told my 16 year old daughter to find a part-time job and my 14 year old son he has to volunteer at least twice a week. Other than that they have no interest in summer school or park district activities. I envision the whole summer ahead of me filled with nonstop arguing and bickering....

Do you guys have anything in mind that will keep them busy and me sane?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 9:09 AM on May. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Rewards at the end of the summer (going to see a movie of their choice or they get to pick a restaurant you go as a family) for books they have read and "reports" they wrote on the books... Reports being a strong word, some sort of summary that you know they have actually read the book!

That is all I can think of. I'm lucky, my kids are still young enough that they will attend activities I schedule them for. I don't know what I'll do when they become teenagers.

Also, swim team, maybe? or some sort of team sport through the YMCA?

Good luck!
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 9:17 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Tomorrow is the last day of school where I live in Ky and its only half a day. IDK what I am gonna do all summer. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 20, 2010

• I'm looking forward to having my 3 kids home all summer! Do you have any theme parks or water parks that you can get season passes to? Living in Cali we are lucky enough to have Disney, 6 Flags, Universal etc all within an hours drive. Besides those places the beach is great if you have one close. Last summer we spent nearly every day there. I know you said they aren't interested in park classes but there must be something they like. My kids are doing t-ball, tap, and fencing. You can also just allow them to invite friends over a lot. Do bbq's and buy water guns. Instant water party! Hope you end up having a great summer.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:01 AM on May. 20, 2010

• Mine are 1st & 2nd grade, their last day is next Friday, and I'm dreading summer as well. I have 2 younger kids too (preschool age) and it's going to be the same thing. Our town is so small there are no summer activities, and I can't schlepp them 20-60 miles multiple times a week besides paying high fees for various things. Ugh.
    Anonymous